What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sizes of partially-assembled sections

I'm considering something really silly: doing an RV-12is build in my ground-floor apartment, which has no garage. Just a regular-sized front door and a large, 15'x20' living room. Most importantly, no significant other to complain about things (unless you include a dog who only gets angry when they are not fed on time).

Obviously, even with the wings removed, you couldn't get a fully-assembled aircraft through a residential doorway. The advice I continuously hear is "you need to work on this project almost daily, or it'll take years to complete," so I'd like to do as much work as I can at home and store completed sections offsite, then integrate everything at the end.

How much time is actually spent actually putting metal together, vs. wiring/finishing/systems integration? How much can I realistically complete before I need to retreat to an aircraft hangar at the closest airport, which is a 30-minute drive from me?

If I can't figure out how to make it work reasonably well, I'd probably grab a used RV-12, however I'd vastly prefer one with the 912is engine with its more advanced technology and incredible efficiency. Besides, this way I'd get something to talk about at parties for a bit…

Well, the wings, and the tail feathers, are the obvious answers. Do you have a patio door, or a large picture window?

Well, the wings, and the tail feathers, are the obvious answers. Do you have a patio door, or a large picture window?

Nope, no large operable openings here (or even windows I could have a contractor temporarily remove). It's a ~100 year old building so things are already kinda weird as it is.

Are there dimensions available for the empennage and fuselage (minus the hoop)?

Approximate measurements:
Tailcone sans feathers: 39.5" x 34" x 107"
Lower fuselage: 44" x 21" x 91"

Back