What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

It was a sad sight

Saber25

Well Known Member
A beautiful RV-7 tied up outside the past three days in the transient parking area of our airport. I first noticed the bird sitting there on Monday but didn't have time to get a closer look and figured it was only going to be parked outside for a few hours. This morning after a flight in Miss Fusion, and after putting her back into the hangar, I noticed the -7 still sitting there and the wind was blowing hard out of the west.

Fine craftsmanship was obvious in the excellent riveting that appeared to be back riveted. I'm not familiar with the quality of the quick builds but this aircraft had the appearance of someone taking special care to produce a quality product.

Therefore, I was saddened to see that none of the controls had been secured and the plane was tied down with ramp chains which in windy conditions can cause damage. The controls were flopping back and forth and under stress due to our normally windy conditions in this valley. A canopy cover that was loose and floppy and probably trapping dust and dirt beneath it and possible causing damage to the canopy caught my attention.

Thanks to flight aware, your air track snitch, I discovered this was not the builder but second owner of the aircraft who carelessly left his airplane to existing unfavorable conditions. It disturbed me to know that an individual had put his heart and soul into this build and the the second owner had so little regard for the effort.

This begs the question, do second and third owners not make the connection with their aircraft since they don't have skin in the game other than dollars? Just insure to the hilt and "what me worry"?

Yep I know what you mean, most of my customers have purchased their RV, some take very good care while others don't care at all. I've actually told a few folks that if they are not going to take care of their aircraft I prefer they stop bringing them to me. I HATE when I see a nice airplane totally neglected.
I charge extra for those folks that bring me a dirty/nasty airplane, I'm not hear to clean your aircraft.

I don’t think the typical non builder pilot truly realizes the amount of time (and effort) it takes to build anything aviation. I did not appreciate it as much as I do now.

Stories like this is why idk if I can ever sell mine. Unfortunately when I build a -10 I’m sure the wife will make me…

Love

My opinion...
It has little to do with building. It comes down to one thing. Love.
Doesn't matter if it's a plane, auto or boat. Some just don't have the same sense of attachment. I've seen people treat vehicles more expensive than a house like trash trucks. Others, me included, treat the ugliest barn find like a treasure.
I've made some good money in my life buying trash vehicles, restoring and selling. Last two I kept. Every vehicle I've owned is given a name from day one and treated like family. Lucy is not finished but she got her name the day the first parts arrived. I build like I'm taking care of a loved one because that's what she is to me.
Like I said, just my opinion.

Last edited:
Pride of Ownership

I did not build either of my Grumman Tigers but they were impeccably maintained by me and my A/P. At my age (58) I really wanted to build but came across a fantastic 7A for sale so I purchased instead. What a great decision. I've been flying all over the country.

Jeremy has a great point, I helped a few friends who were building a 7A and 9A and all builders are dedicated beyond belief and the most talented people around.

I have been following Jeremy's, Larry's and MotoDave's builds for sometime now. You guys are super talented.

For me is all about pride of ownership!

I don’t think the typical non builder pilot truly realizes the amount of time (and effort) it takes to build anything aviation.

Sorry, I don’t agree. I’m the (new) 3rd owner of an RV7A. The previous owner did a good job improving what the builder did and I plan on fixing/updating/perfecting it. Why? Because like Larry said, it’s mine, Im proud to own it, and want it well tended to.

Remember, there’s also the flip side: builders that either didn’t know better or took short cuts.

I am a fortunate caretaker

As the fortunate caretaker of a beautiful RV7 masterfully built by Roger Mell, I have immersed myself in the airplane and definitely have formed a “connection”. I have made some modifications, done my own preventative maintenance and will be participating in this year’s conditional inspection. When I made the purchase, I committed to Roger that I would be a good steward of his work.

So, I install my gust lock, plugs and cover routinely whenever I am parked on a ramp…no matter how calm the winds :)

In return for my due diligence in the pre-buy, purchase, and initial conditional (with the help of Vic) I found a great machine that has been safe, reliable, and grin worthy for the past year and a half. And when the day comes that I have to sell her, I will make sure the next caretaker is equally invested in Roger’s plane.

So far the replies have been very encouraging. I'm heartened that new owners take pride in the ride and act accordingly. I salute you.

Enough skin...?

Agree with all the above, just to add:
For some of us, just the large financial investment and the safety of my pink butt are more than enough "skin in the game" to treat a purchased RV with the appropriate respect and care.
I can't afford to mess up!!

5th Owner

I'm the 5th owner of my RV3 and have been gradually taking care of nearly 30 years of wear and tear, fixing problems, modernising radios and instruments of a very fine well built aircraft.

I just missed out on the purchase when the original builder sold it and I try to look after it in a way that he would have been happy with.

Rob
RV 3 G-BVDC

I think it’s misleading to generalize that people who buy instead of build will by definition love the airplane less. But I do see that for some a commercial transaction might commoditize the aircraft, and they subsequently treat it as a novelty, a toy, an accessory, etc. and not love it the way the builder would have.

Having said that, plenty of people fall deeply in love with cars that are factory built (Click&Clack’s Dodge Dart?)

Anyway, I’m reminded of a high end Vegas restaurant where I saw a rather famous original piece of art that even I recognized hanging, unprotected, over a row of urinals.

If one can’t handle the thought of their pride and joy being mistreated, then best never to sell it.

I'm not a builder, but I've always figured we're all custodians for the next owners. If we're neglectful, how are they going to get as much enjoyment out of these machines as we do?

- mark

He had it covered and tied down. Give him credit for that. The controls have stops built in and won't be damaged by a little wind play. He'll probably remember to tie the seat belt around the control stick next time. I hear a lot of judgmental perfection in this thread. Lighten up.

He had it covered and tied down. Give him credit for that. The controls have stops built in and won't be damaged by a little wind play.

Um... Wrong. Wind play can easily bend/break control stops. Rudders can and do slam into the inboard ends of the elevators.

Maybe a little duct tape & a note could have been in order.
"Hi - I saw your controls flapping in the wind - I thought you wouldn't mind cleaning some glue residue off rather than having to rebuild your rudder & elevators!!"

He had it covered and tied down. Give him credit for that. The controls have stops built in and won't be damaged by a little wind play. He'll probably remember to tie the seat belt around the control stick next time. I hear a lot of judgmental perfection in this thread. Lighten up.

Not to argue but it's actually it's PPL 101 info. You can always use the seatbelt, although the controls probably won't be in a neutral position. The controls might actually be in a less than desirable position for wind direction. Allowing the control surfaces to hit their stops is never a good idea save for a flight control check for range of motion & limits.

YMMV

Not to argue but it's actually it's PPL 101 info. You can always use the seatbelt, although the controls probably won't be in a neutral position. The controls might actually be in a less than desirable position for wind direction. Allowing the control surfaces to hit their stops is never a good idea save for a flight control check for range of motion & limits.
YMMV

Unfortunately, on an RV, the rudder is the most susceptible control surface to be damaged by wind gusts and the seatbelt securing the stick won't help here.

I don't normally touch anyone else's airplane, but I've made an exception once. There was an RV-7 at Oshkosh a few years back. It had one of the rudder gust locks I saw being sold in a booth there, some sort of web strap and plastic arrangement. It had fallen out of place and the rudder already was perforated on both sides from the gusty winds slamming it into the ends of the elevators. We stopped and put the gust lock back in place, it was all we could do... didn't see any way to contact the owner.

Maybe a little duct tape & a note could have been in order.
"Hi - I saw your controls flapping in the wind - I thought you wouldn't mind cleaning some glue residue off rather than having to rebuild your rudder & elevators!!"

Yeah, I was thinking that and would be happy if someone did that for me, but it could peel off the paint. Or worse, from lack of SA already demonstrated, they could takeoff that way.

Clearly, even some builders don't know the fragility of an unrestrained rudder on a 7. It's not in the manual, so not limited to owners. It is something learned. :rolleyes:

The 2019 winds at OSH found some rudder locks lacking (not missing) and resulted in more than one rudder with elevator contact. I think Steve Melton's "guy-rope" design is probably the most robust.

Some airplanes, even ones built with love are a tool for the owner. Not a pet. But, there is no excuse for not taking care of it and making sure the control surfaces are not damaged and it is always in a safe for flight state.

Funny thing is I have a friend who has a truck that you could eat off of. He said it was sad to him to see my truck because I use it like a truck - scratches, dirty, and always filled with something.

I agree with the above comments but want to add: completed and painted RV’s appear strong, almost invincible sitting on the ramp. Many people don’t realize how thin the metal is on some parts, and how easily it can be damaged. Builders spend years, possibly decades dealing with fragile parts during construction so we learn the hard way. Many buyers come from a background of cars, Cessnas, and Pipers. Those can take much more abuse and weather without damage.

FYI, I use the gust lock even for a breakfast run. It doesn’t take much to overpower the stop.

Sounds like just carelessness and neglect to me. I can't imagine not taking great care of something, regardless of whether I built it or bought it. Even a second hand RV is going to cost tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars. Would you leave a $50,000 car to be destroyed by weather? I bring my 6 year old Subaru in the hangar whenever it looks like it might T-storm and hail, and the market value of that is a small fraction of any nice RV.

We live in a disposable world these days. Far too many houses, cars, boats, etc just get mistreated by people who don't realize (or care) how much value their actions are destroying. Assets are assets - don't do things to accelerate your loss!!

This is a good opportunity to put a plug in for one of our sponsors Antisplat Aero Ultimate Gust Lock. I love this gust luck as it locks all control surfaces at once and is fairly light. I use it a lot around here in windy Wyoming and it has always done a nice job. I am currently thinking about devising a backup for the rudder just in case. I know a lot of guys around here just drill a hole in the stop and rudder horn and use a piece of bent wire to lock it, seems very effective too.

This is a good opportunity to put a plug in for one of our sponsors Antisplat Aero Ultimate Gust Lock. I love this gust luck as it locks all control surfaces at once and is fairly light. I use it a lot around here in windy Wyoming and it has always done a nice job. I am currently thinking about devising a backup for the rudder just in case. I know a lot of guys around here just drill a hole in the stop and rudder horn and use a piece of bent wire to lock it, seems very effective too.

+1 for the Anti-Splat Gust Lock.

It "seems"

I know a lot of guys around here just drill a hole in the stop and rudder horn and use a piece of bent wire to lock it, seems very effective too.

Those are the ones that had the "design exceeded" and poked holes in a few RV rudders 2019 OSH.

Those are the ones that had the "design exceeded" and poked holes in a few RV rudders 2019 OSH.

Ya it's possible, this is why I am considering a secondary on the rudder.

Do you happen to know if they were properly rigged? The gust lock can very easily be installed wrong if the correct preload is not there. Without the preload it will undoubtedly come off the rudder pedals. I have tested mine in 30knot gusts so far but not higher yet.

I saw a neat simple rudder gust lock on an RV-9 a few days ago. Basically a U-shaped piece of wire with the fore end of the U stuck through a hole drilled in the rudder stop and the aft end of the U through a hole drilled in the rudder control arm. One U on each side with long red flags attached to each. A bungee is also provided which goes under the belly and hooks onto each inverted U securing them in place so they cannot work their way out. I’ll try to post up pics later.

Agree

I agree, I don't leave home without my Antisplat aero gust lock

So far the replies have been very encouraging. I'm heartened that new owners take pride in the ride and act accordingly. I salute you.

I think you're a friend of my Uncle, Dave von Linsowe. He's on his second go around with the same -6 he owned 12+ years ago! Look no further than our family to know that second hand owners care for their RV's. I'm sure you're up to speed on all of his progress. I myself love my -4 and spent 3-4 hours out at the hangar just today working and cleaning things. Dad's -7 get's just as much love and appreciation.

p.s I think Dave may have told you about my trip planned out west. I do still want to fly through your neck of the woods for a good tail chase or two :)

Hi Justin,

Good to hear from you. I hope the line flying is all you expected and with the outfit you're with it should be a fulfilling career.

Let me know when you plan on coming out, you're welcome to have a layover here. Same goes for Dave. Fights on :)

Cheers

When my brother passed away unexpectedly at 56, I was extremely grateful to be able to fly my airplane to his home town and turn a 4 hour trip into 1 hour.

That was nearly two years ago, and although I don't remember, I'm almost certain that I forgot to put the cabin cover and gust locks on, having had more important things on my mind at the moment.

+2 for the Antisplat Gust Lock. I know a lot of people get by with the bent wire on the rudder stop. Seems like putting a deadbolt on the hinge side of your front door. Only a matter of time till it gives up. The rudder cables with the ASA lock give a little, and are much stronger than a bent hinge pin, especially in compression.

+2 for the Antisplat Gust Lock.

+3. I’ve started using it almost all the time now. I especially like that I can install it before I leave my seat. Which is nice when the wind is gusting and could have already done some damage if I had to install external gust locks by myself.

MHO, but I believe it has little to do with builder vs. non-builder. I own a Pulsar and an RV-9A. I built one and bought the other. Both get my best effort to take good care of them (as my wife will laughingly attest). It's all about a person's DNA and whether they're the type of person who truly takes pride in owning an airplane. Some folks view airplanes more as a piece of "machinery" rather than anything more.

+3. I’ve started using it almost all the time now. I especially like that I can install it before I leave my seat. Which is nice when the wind is gusting and could have already done some damage if I had to install external gust locks by myself.

I flew a DC-3 once and as part of the pre/post flight, it was required to have someone in the cockpit with their feet on the rudder pedals prior to another crewmember removing the gust lock on the rudder. Once the gust lock was out, someone had to stay on the controls at all times.

Same thing at my home field, I am hangared so took my gust locks and put them on the airplane along with a note to mail them back when trip finished. Never heard from him but saw the same airplane at another field 3 months later with my locks. Walked over and just took them off.

Back