What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 12 Firewall insulation

lvpazik

So here in Vegas area I still try to fly my 12. Challenge is with outside temps of 105-110, the heat pouring into the cockpit right above my ankles when on the rudder borderline burns my skin to the point where I have to remove my feet, especially the right foot, to get some relief. I had both cowlings off yesterday doing an oil/filter change and noticed there is zero insulation on the metal wall between the engine compartment and interior. Anyone ever think about adhering anything on the engine compartment side against that metal wall? I have fireproof silver insulation but fear there are no adhesives that will hold it in place in excessive heat and the last thing I need is to have it fall off within the compartment during flight.

When I built my Factory Five Cobra kit car 10 or so years ago, I had exhaust headers passing very close to the footboxes. I used this stuff and it has performed great. None of it has started peeling or coming off. I used aluminum tape to seal the edges. Obviously not designed specifically for airplanes, but I think it would work for what you're talking about.

I once got the engine bay hot enough to melt my throttle cable, but the insulation has held up fine and kept my feet from cooking.

EDIT/DISCLAIMER I assumed based on your question that you have a flying ELSA RV12. Obviously if you have an SLSA, you're probably not allowed make modifications. Also, if you're a guy that wants an engineered solution, that has been tested in airplanes for thousands of hours or are the type of person that is going to worry about the Thermo-tec insulation combusting into flames in the event of an engine fire, then disregard my post. I believe there's a bunch of other stuff that will catch fire under your cowling before the Thermo-tec. Also I understood your question to be asking about reducing radiant heat and not asking about fire proofing the firewall. I'm not claiming the Thermo-tec is going to help in any way if you have an engine fire. Cheers!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029KC2...abc_G902RRDBKMC4J3K4EWHT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• 20210702_203217.jpg
    20210702_203217.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 75
  • IMAG0136.jpg
    IMAG0136.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Interesting, That's the material I purchased for another airplane. Concern was if it would stay adhered to the firewall with all the heat. In reading it's ability, I have to believe it would. Also helpful to know of the aluminum tape for the edges. Thanks for the feedback

Back