What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Siletz Bay S45 - PIREPS?

Mountain Time

Going to be spending a few days on the Oregon coast next month, and wondering if anyone has recent info on Siletz Bay state airport in Gleneden. KONP is my alternate plan, and that’s a known quantity with fuel, services, and instrument approaches (hopefully not needed, but this IS the Oregon coast we’re talking about….). But Siletz is very close to where we are staying and I thought someone out there may have some current data on conditions there.

TIA -

weather?

I planned on using it some years ago to attend Van's homecoming.
We ended up in Newport and couldn't get out of the coastal fog until noon.
Siletz Bay of course has the same weather conditions typical in summer months along the coast.
I know you are looking for current conditions of the field along with amenities,
it seemed very unattended at that time but the weather conditions are still the same along the coast and you may want to choose something a bit more inland
for reliable VFR conditions.
I didn't know any better then but I know better now and I would not advise using that airport for long distance flight planning

Coastal Fog

Thanks Ernst, yes the coast down there is often/usually foggy for part of the day, even in otherwise sunny conditions. Not a lot of great options inland in that area, though, unless you want to go a ways east. Newport is probably my #1 choice overall at the moment.

JHW

Not sure what info you are looking for, but I have been there recently and it is a nice place to go. No fuel or other services, but nice airport. I have only stayed for a few hours, so not sure about overnight either, but I don't think it is an issue. the Side Door Cafe across the highway from the airport I recommend very highly :)

Tim

and as for coastal weather, well, looks like you are from the Puget Sound area, so I assume you know what it can be. Yep, often in the morning there is a 1000ft or less ceiling, but it clears up... usually.

Tim

For sure, Tim, I'm familiar with the coastal weather in WA and OR, been more than a few times that the fog/low stratus just sat there a lot longer than forecast. Now that I think of it, that would define Bremerton National to a T. :rolleyes: We may need to just play it by ear - it looks like an instrument departure from S45 (or KONP for that matter) would work if you had that 1,000' ceiling, or even less, though you'd be in the clag pretty quickly.

I did see that Side Door cafe written up online, looks appealing. The house we'll be staying at is only 2 miles south of the airport.

JHW

Back