What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl Hinge Alternatives

MS1095

Well Known Member
Vans is out of the 1/8" Piano hinge. Has anyone used different hinge material around the firewall on the top cowl (RV4) I have some MS20001-6 on hand. The eyelets are smaller than the Vans hinge. The Vans hinge is .125 ID and uses a .090 pin around the curve. The MS200 hinge has .090 ID eyelets.

The MS2001-6 I have is 2in wide as opposed to 1 1/2". I could sheer it down to size if the 2in would be too wide.

I would not. Even the bigger stuff get broken eyelets at times. You can buy the stuff at Spruce.

The reason you need 1/8" hinge is that the 0.090 pin will not fit in 0.090 hinge due to the curvature.

Now, it's possible that you could use 0.090 hinge if you can find a thinner pin, but I suspect a thinner pin would bend (kink) too easily.

Finn

A couple additional things

Matt,
Are you building or replacing on a currently flying aircraft? That particular hinge requires some additional massaging rather than just bending and drilling it up. The eyelets (firewall side and cowling side)must all be angle chamfered to prevent binding when curved, and its easiest to do before you bend it. The ability to get the pins in/out will be directly proportional to the attention to detail on the eyelet preparation.

Matt,
Are you building or replacing on a currently flying aircraft? That particular hinge requires some additional massaging rather than just bending and drilling it up. The eyelets (firewall side and cowling side)must all be angle chamfered to prevent binding when curved, and its easiest to do before you bend it. The ability to get the pins in/out will be directly proportional to the attention to detail on the eyelet preparation.

Bill,

I am building new. I think I found the hinge at McMaster. I should know when it arrives today.

Can you describe in a bit more detail, or post pics of what you did on yours.

I sent you a PM

Here is the only picture I have on me at the moment, and you cant really get an understanding of the eyelet bevel. Imagine making an igloo with square blocks vs. angled blocks with beveled sides to eliminate the gap and form a circle...that's the simplest way to explain it.

Attachments

• O320 top side.jpg
    O320 top side.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 230
I’m doing this right now on the 10.
I’ve used MS20001 on the horizontal cowl sides and the Vans 1/8 hinge everywhere else.
I plan on beveling the curved firewall hinges today per the plans and as described above.
On my 7 I beveled the cowl side of the hinge only but the -8 has a tighter radius. Maybe do a little on each side.
Fwiw here is the -10 plans description.

06F55A05-41B9-492F-8E8C-D00394B68C1A.jpeg

Last edited:
1/8" hinge with 1/8" pins

It's a personal choice, but I thought I would share that I used 1/8" steel pins with my 1/8" hinge for the cowling. Common thinking is that the curve requires the smaller pin but I found it isn't required and got a nice tight fit.

It's a personal choice, but I thought I would share that I used 1/8" steel pins with my 1/8" hinge for the cowling. Common thinking is that the curve requires the smaller pin but I found it isn't required and got a nice tight fit.

Are you talking about the vertical side hinges or the curved upper hinges?

Finn

I suggest drilling a hole in the firewall whee the cowl hinge can slide into about 1/2". That sc\ecures the hinge, and if it ever breaks, as it has at times, one can push the broken hinge out from the cabin side of the firewall! (Saves tearing up the cowl).

Regards,

DAR Gary

Back