What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV over the holidays?

SPX

Well Known Member
Sponsor
We have a "What did you do with your RV this weekend" thread, but I think the holidays merit a thread of their own, since so many of us will be flying our RV(s) during the week too!

So, let's hear what you're doing, or did with your RV over the holidays!

I will start... The condition inspection on my RV-9A was wrapped up last weekend, and flew it from Oregon to San Diego last Sunday and Monday. Today I took it down to San Diego Brown Field (SDM) to get some cheap gas. From there, I flew over to Montgomery Field (MYF) to get an iPad mount so I can easily use my iPad Mini 4 with ForeFlight while flying. After getting the mount, and a small lunch, I headed home to Carlsbad (CRQ) and put the airplane back in the hangar.

During the condition inspection, I installed the SkySensor, which is a companion to the SkyBeacon from UAvionix. The SkySensor is basically an LED nav/strobe that also provides ADS-B IN via WiFi. I am really happy with it, and find that it works great feeding either the iFlyGPS, or the iPad for ForeFlight. No doubt that it works great with other GDL90 compatible EFB applications.

Also during the inspection, I installed an Infinity grip, and I am really enjoying that. It's great having so many functions available, all on the grip.

I hope that everyone has a safe, enjoyable holiday season. I am eager to hear what you've done with your RV over the next week or two!

I parked it quietly away in the hangar, protected by CamGuard, as heavy aluminum tubes make more sense to go from east to west and then south east over the next few weeks, seeking snow and sun. Looking forward to living RV-vicariously from all of you!

I'm planning to depart Dallas Sunday morning, headed to Phoenix. After Christmas I am going to LA, then back to Dallas just before new-year. Hopefully the weather cooperates.

I'm planning to depart Dallas Sunday morning, headed to Phoenix. After Christmas I am going to LA, then back to Dallas just before new-year. Hopefully the weather cooperates.

Nice trip. What airports in Los Angeles and Phoenix?
Where do you like to stop between Dallas and Phoenix?

Nice trip. What airports in Los Angeles and Phoenix?
Where do you like to stop between Dallas and Phoenix?

For AZ, i am going to scosdale. Not my first choice, but down the street from the in-laws.

For CA, I am headed to Fullerton. SNA would be much closer, but the fees are too high.

Right now the plan is to stop at Winston and Lordsburg

Update: winds are looking good for the trip. Only need 1 stop now.

Last edited:
Holiday

Loaded the 10 up with 3 dogs 1 cat luggage and Christmas presents for a week with the in laws. Love the flying family truckster.

Chiriaco Summit

I like a number, a large number, of other SOCAL pilots head to Chiriaco Summit for a January 1 breakfast at the Chiriaco Summit Coffee and Gift Shop, owned by the same family since 1933 and right next to the General Patton Museum. We land on the same runway Patton did when he was training the troops for North Africa.

Taos NM run

Sabrina and I decided to fly down to Taos NM for a day. We had to preheat the plane since it was about 20 deg. F. The cold air was very calm, and the flight over is only about an hour.

After you cross over La Veta pass, you fly down along the Rio Grande. It makes a beautiful gorge that leads you straight to Taos.
aeMNYGb_XPNZJLoJgZqWaLJyb6SWzzjMzT_vJSfxvsz0scrWiK_LOdQmi5aQIZOJnYm4DeWjjntjBlZveK_s8rQCeORQhMr105BmTNhdYrsFp9kKaVrzV2cdiv581lR5maNh53hbAQ=w1200

We stayed at the Taos Inn, home of the famous Adobe Bar. They were appropriately decorated for Christmas.
lswNSucQoLc49yir8Zd4mb6SxhXsEznbpCN8LxuSCYR6RY0qtfW2XJcfcjVJ7XrTJAo7becODF7EKmIIVWiXNwjq-Gba4Ib9JImv5wsPPrqJySBrxRfQIqwTvuTpQ6q0b2n9NnlDTA=w1200

The flight back was just as pretty as the flight down.
LkZLxYL26OEc-FqnkoIJRLAQMqtZa831fUscryhrx4ruubsXnMd-pkwEjsChjtJ6pDYdEZ_L9H0hN0Vwu1Dsf2F-8h6KsBxR38fFddOypPXNLtkZZMc_yh78_3w4XexEBlM_qFdveA=w1200

All in all a great way to spend a day, and get the RV out of the hangar. Hope all of you have a wonderful Christmas.

Cheers

Geoff

Last edited:
Holidays with both RV's in the Keys

We packed up the presents and the other RV "Recreational Vessel" and towed it on the trailer from MD to Marathon Fl in the Keys: UGH! 2 & half days of excruciating slow traffic and rain, rain, & rain. My son & daughter (both Pilots) the 'Lucky Ones" loaded his family in our RV10 (N16YS) with 78 Gallons LL fuel and departed Maryland at the same time as us, only difference was 6 flying hours with a little comfort stop in Darlington SC. and they were landing in 77 degree WARM DRY Marathon FL, Their vacation began 2 days before ours did. Aah Well ! I can only wish I'd had a DAD like me! :D
BTW: I want to give a very BIG Shout Out to CATMANDU !! Mike is a close family friend / neighbor and excellent instructor! He keeps my kids and myself on our toes with his continuing education evaluation and sharing in the love of flight. Mike was solely responsible for our decision to purchase the family RV10 a Perfect 10 !! Thank You, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to CATMANDU and all the others that support this Vans Air Force Community ! (Remember to donate !!)

Last edited:
I flew the work airplane to Hawaii and back on Wednesday/Thursday. This morning, I went out to Palm Springs to visit a sick family member in the hospital. Rather than making a 2+ hour drive each way, I made a 30 minute flight. The flight was great, and was made even better when I overflew stopped traffic in the snow covered mountains that I would have used, had I taken the car over. Beautiful flying over the white mountains this time of the year.

Landed, and swapped out the SkySensor ADS-B IN that I installed with a replacement (took about ten minutes)..

Life with an RV is great.

Central Illinois is pretty boring for pics, but 3.8 in the RV plus 40 minutes in the car (KCPS-KARR) sure beats 9 hours of driving!

Now for the panel upgrade, ADS-B and IFR!

Flew to IA for a couple days before I had to work the holiday (KUMP->8C4)
90 minutes in the RV is far better than 5.5 in the car each way!

Sunset crossing the Mississippi over Quad Cities:

49286573233_b70f722ec0_z.jpg

While there I gave Rick Meyer his first RV ride - he just bought a 14A kit at OSH over the summer. Forgot to get a picture of the RV grin!

I like a number, a large number, of other SOCAL pilots head to Chiriaco Summit for a January 1 breakfast at the Chiriaco Summit Coffee and Gift Shop, owned by the same family since 1933 and right next to the General Patton Museum. We land on the same runway Patton did when he was training the troops for North Africa.

Looks like we have competing events. I'm signed up for the Lake Havasu
fly-in. Weather looks ideal at this point.

Will definitely have to try Chiriaco Summit at some point...museum sounds interesting. Chester Nimitz is my distant cousin.

RV full Holiday

Lots of RV stuff this Christmas but nothing spectacular.

-Great weather for 3 days before Christmas therefore 4 hours of local flying in smooth, cool, morning air even one flight with the wife since I told her how pretty the sunrise was on an previous days flight.

-Christmas Eve oil change.

-Weather has turned low visibility, low clouds, and rainy therefore took out floors, canopy, and parts of the panel and now part way through upgrading to a TruTrack Gemini Auto Pilot. I bought it last year but did not want to take time away from flying to install especially since my RV was up on blocks above the 7? of flood water in my hangar for two months during peak summer flying.

Back