What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stroke of VANS prop cable?

swisseagle

Well Known Member
Hello

Trying to get the parts order together for the FP to CS upgrade. Now I need a longer prop cable (due to 320 engine mount which is 2" longer.

ACS have the A-1760 VANS RV CUSTOM CONTROL CABLE option for this. But to fill the order, I need the stroke.

Does anyone have the prop cable still on the bench to measure?

2-1/4" or 2-1/2" is the question.

Stand. P920-032 Gov.

Thanks alot!

They are nominally 2 1/8". A cable with a 2 1/4" stroke will work very well.

Having had to change a few after 500 hrs or so, I would recommend getting a high-quality McFarlane custom cable instead of the Vans/ACS cable, although for the prop control it is less of an issue because you likely will not be routing it near any high temperatures. (unless you have a forward governor mount).

Having had to change a few after 500 hrs or so, I would recommend getting a high-quality McFarlane custom cable instead of the Vans/ACS cable, although for the prop control it is less of an issue because you likely will not be routing it near any high temperatures. (unless you have a forward governor mount).

I curious....can you tell us more about the quality comparisons that sets the McFarlane products above the others?

I curious....can you tell us more about the quality comparisons that sets the McFarlane products above the others?

Well, for one, all of the Van’s cables (made by Cablecraft - or at least they used to be....) came with a label saying “Not for Aircraft Use”! ;)

Paul

Well, for one, all of the Van’s cables (made by Cablecraft - or at least they used to be....) came with a label saying “Not for Aircraft Use”! ;)

Paul

Interesting ... who does the cable for ACS? ACS is also supplying cables made to be used in Van's aircraft's.

McFarlane

They are nominally 2 1/8". A cable with a 2 1/4" stroke will work very well.

Totally agree.

@Dominik - let me know what you need. I went through many cycles of custom cables before I got them just right. Yes, I probably overdid it a little bit, but I wanted it to be perfect. I have lots of cables that didn't quite work for me and I'll be happy to send them to you to look at and to test - both Van's and McFarlane.

Interesting ... who does the cable for ACS? ACS is also supplying cables made to be used in Van's aircraft's.

The ACS cables are the same as Vans. The liner does not seem to withstand high temperatures very well, and over time, the cable gets very 'not smooth', catches, binds. One symptom I noticed was that it would feel rough when cold, and get smoother when hot. Some have reported them binding altogether.

The McFarlane cables are VERY smooth, and are designed for high temp environments, and last at least until TBO.

I just noticed that McFarlane is now a VAF advertiser, see the side panel over here <------.

Thank you for all the information!

I'll know that McFarlane is better, but these are way more expensive. Also the look then would be different for the prop only. Cant afford to change all three.
On my Throttle and Mixture cable, I have a fire sleeve to protect them FWF a bit against heat. So far 300h and still working fine. I' will go with the ACS Version and 2-1/4" stroke.

Back