What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Fuselage Rotisserie

I?m at the part in building the RV-8 fuselage where a ?rotisserie? stand would help. I?ve read through the forums talking about these, and how helpful they are and how to attach using angle iron, wood, or a combination.

Looking at the firewall there are pre drilled holes in the stainless blocked from behind by the spacers including lower and upper angle (F-801C-1, WD-802, F-801D-1, WD-803) that need to be 3/8? match drilled through the weldments (WD-802/WD-803) for the engine mount.

How do I attach the ?rotisserie? engine stand, with wood or angle, to the firewall? Do I match drill a smaller 1/4? hole through the existing pre-drilled firewall hole for a 1/4? bold to hold the wood/angle to the rotisserie, hoping that the 3/8? hole that it needs to be enlarged to for the motor mount in the finishing kit will line up?

I don?t want the hole to look like a ?snowman? (oO)

I used angle iron and 1/4 bolts, which seems to be plenty strong enough. I did offer up the engine mount to the firewall first to make sure the holes weren't too far off before I drilled 1/4.

On reflection, I can't see any reason why the firewall can't be drilled final size at this early stage. (Unless you don't have the engine mount yet, in which case 1/4 holes are probably safer!)

Email me for some photos if you like?

Hugh-thomson at hotmail dot com

Cheers :)

Hugh

Same-o

Did the same.....cut some old bedrails and just bolted them horizontally on the firewall with 1/4 bolts. Then cut some rails for the rotisserie mount and bolted them perpendicular to the first two. Used an engine mount from Harbor Freight for the actual stand/rotisserie. The tail either sits on a saw horse, bucket or the floor....depending on what is being done. the saw horse is needed to spin the fuselage inverted, keeping it high enough off the floor.....

Works well

And yes, I have pics....feel free to email [email protected]

I used angle iron and 1/4 bolts, which seems to be plenty strong enough. I did offer up the engine mount to the firewall first to make sure the holes weren't too far off before I drilled 1/4.

On reflection, I can't see any reason why the firewall can't be drilled final size at this early stage. (Unless you don't have the engine mount yet, in which case 1/4 holes are probably safer!)

Email me for some photos if you like?

Hugh-thomson at hotmail dot com

Cheers :)

Hugh

I imagine most builders will reach the stage where they desire a rotisserie well before having an engine mount on hand. Or at least, having the rotisserie becomes useful way ahead of being at the finish and/or FWF stage.

I chose to drill the engine mount holes to 3/16", using the preexisting holes in the weldments as my guide. The rotisserie attachment "frame" is just made out of angle iron and attached with AN3 bolts at each corner of the firewall.

Like others, the firewall pivot is a Harbor Freight engine stand, and I just have the tailspring sitting on a tall sawhorse.

https://rv.squawk1200.net/2016/07/22/finishing-a-rotisserie/

Back