What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Safety & Maintenance Presentation by Vic Syracuse at KFFC (Atlanta area)

rswalden

Well Known Member
This was our Falcon RV Squadron's first ever "safety" meeting related to RV maintenance and safety issues. Over 50 RV owners attended.

Please share this video with your RV friends: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXG7gRrh7UY

Vic has built multiple RVs, and has performed hundreds of pre-buy and condition inspections on RVs. He also authors articles for Kitplanes magazine offering loads of tips/tricks and advice for builders and owners.

Recently, Vic voiced his concern for safety-related flaws that he continues to find in our RVs and suggested a meeting to address those topics.

Even non-RV owners will find this presentation helpful for maintaining your airplane. Please spread pass this video along to your friends. Thanks.

2s6k6zo.jpg

Last edited:
Would love to see this. Can you guys stream it or at least video it and post on YouTube or Vimeo for the rest of us to watch?

I'll second that! Please record a video and share a link here. This would be really useful for all of us. Thanks.

Hey guys, a few of us are flying over from central Alabama, is this still on for tomorrow at 4pm EST?

Presentation

I heard one of Vic?s presentations in the EAA tent at S&F. Super job. You Tube, podcast etc would be great for us folks still out here crackin? rocks

Good Job Vic

Had a great time and sorry I had to leave early. Had to make a quick run up to Knoxville to check some ?jam Nuts?. 🤪

Great job Vic!!

Great turnout : great presentation by Vic

The Falcon RV Squadron Safety meeting was very well attended with at least one attendee from Oregon-Greg from Vans Aircraft, and a San Diego RV'er.

Vic presented about thirty items that he says show up repeatedly in his work doing RV maintenance, pre buy inspections, and DAR aircraft certifications. He showed us photos all taken in 2019 and explained what was and what should be. Most of us will probably be looking closely at our RVs to make sure our birds are safe.

Here's the list of what Vic covered:

Vern

++++++++++++
Jam nuts loose on control systems
Fuel systems/carb linkages not adjusted, preventing full travel to the stops and causing overheating.
K & N Air Filters shrinking over time and not being replaced> Silica levels increasing in oil samples
No safety wire on wheel pants
No safety wire on Brake calipers
ELT's not armed
Service bulletins pencil whipped and not performed
Inadequate stop drilling on cracks
Controls not labeled
Fuel caps not labeled for fuel type and capacity
Broken throttle sheaths
Unsupported P-Mag wiring.Wires dangling
Water entrapment in static lines
Use of plastic caps on fuel system spiders
Slick mag 500 hour inspections and parts replacement
Spark plugs not gapped properly and worn out. Should have ohm checks too
Key ignition switch failures. Pilots not doing Service bulletins and AD's . No grounding checks
Lightspeed coils / wires bulletins
Copper spark plug gaskets should be used on auto plug adapters. Concave side towards engine.
Missing baffle bolts. Cylinders structurally joined. Should be individually free to jiggle.
D sub connectors with no support or back shells
Fittings without all bolts installed
Missing cotter keys
Worn tires hidden by wheel pants
Airboxes need two drain holes. One inside filter, other on downhill side of airbox
Inadequate oil cooler supports. Cracking

Then Vic presented a few closing remarks. He encouraged oil changes at shorter intervals
Don't let brakes wear until they squeal
Put annual ELT test into logbooks. Use 406 test procedures given by manufacture
Operational Limitations in aircraft
New weight and balances after painting
Hartzell Constant speed prop overhauls at 2000 hours/ 7 years

Suggested that the Challenger cleanable element oil filters might be a value for some

Fellow attendees: I invite you to jump in with your comments and take aways.

Vern Darley
scribe

We flew over from central Alabama, easy flight and well worth it. Great turn out! Falcon field is really cool.

Somebody recorded a video, highly recommend everybody watch it once it pops up.

"Hartzell 2 bladed props with AL hubs that have been manufactured after 4/1997 (i.e., "B" hubs) have recommended O/H periods of 2400 flight hours/72 months."

You are correct here. It is 72 months that the majority of the RV owners run up against. I have seen a number of them require work such as shot peening as they don't pass the inspection. Kudos to those of you who follow the recommendations of the manufacturere.

After all, we are flying single-engine, single propeller airplanes.

Thanks to all of you who came. It was really nice to see those of you whom I don't see that often due to distances. :)

Vic

I'd love to see this presentation as well if it was filmed. Even if the video becomes privately viewable please send me a link I'd be grateful. Vic performed a pre-purchase inspection on a plane I ended up not buying. However, it was an excellent learning experience on all accounts and I walked away a lot more knowledgeable. I'd love to see this presentation as I know it would be invaluable information presented in proper context. Now that I own an -8 that I am learning to care for too, it would be quite timely.

My understanding is that it is being worked so as to post it to youtube. They are going to try to incorporate the slides into the video so they are readable.

Vic

The Falcon RV Squadron Safety meeting was very well attended with at least one attendee from Oregon-Greg from Vans Aircraft, and a San Diego RV'er.

Vic presented about thirty items that he says show up repeatedly in his work doing RV maintenance, pre buy inspections, and DAR aircraft certifications. He showed us photos all taken in 2019 and explained what was and what should be. Most of us will probably be looking closely at our RVs to make sure our birds are safe.

Here's the list of what Vic covered:

Vern

++++++++++++
Jam nuts loose on control systems
Fuel systems/carb linkages not adjusted, preventing full travel to the stops and causing overheating.
K & N Air Filters shrinking over time and not being replaced> Silica levels increasing in oil samples
No safety wire on wheel pants
No safety wire on Brake calipers
ELT's not armed
Service bulletins pencil whipped and not performed
Inadequate stop drilling on cracks
Controls not labeled
Fuel caps not labeled for fuel type and capacity
Broken throttle sheaths
Unsupported P-Mag wiring.Wires dangling
Water entrapment in static lines
Use of plastic caps on fuel system spiders
Slick mag 500 hour inspections and parts replacement
Spark plugs not gapped properly and worn out. Should have ohm checks too
Key ignition switch failures. Pilots not doing Service bulletins and AD's . No grounding checks
Lightspeed coils / wires bulletins
Copper spark plug gaskets should be used on auto plug adapters. Concave side towards engine.
Missing baffle bolts. Cylinders structurally joined. Should be individually free to jiggle.
D sub connectors with no support or back shells
Fittings without all bolts installed
Missing cotter keys
Worn tires hidden by wheel pants
Airboxes need two drain holes. One inside filter, other on downhill side of airbox
Inadequate oil cooler supports. Cracking

Then Vic presented a few closing remarks. He encouraged oil changes at shorter intervals
Don't let brakes wear until they squeal
Put annual ELT test into logbooks. Use 406 test procedures given by manufacture
Operational Limitations in aircraft
New weight and balances after painting
Hartzell Constant speed prop overhauls at 2000 hours/ 7 years

Suggested that the Challenger cleanable element oil filters might be a value for some

Fellow attendees: I invite you to jump in with your comments and take aways.

Vern Darley
scribe

Looks like I'm guilty of item #4, no safety wire on wheel pants.
Please explain this further.
Thanks

Thanks Bobby for the explanation, I?ve got the James pants and they mount in a different fashion with no need for safety wire.

Hartzell start of 72 month defined

Thanx to Carl?s post, #16 above, i finally found from when the 72 months is measured. The Service Letter states, ?Start date for calendar limit is when the propeller is first installed and run on an engine.? Mine had sat idle in my garage for a few years and i had wondered about this and now glad to know the answer.

That would be this one, if it?s not there that screw can back out and you?ll mess up your wheel pant.

Can only post the link from my phone, would have to fire up the laptop to insert the picture, past my bed time.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vhSYb2sqocmBx3jo6

Assuming the locking feature of the nutplate is still good I find locktite to be very effective solution in this location. I've never safetied mine and have never had one come loose. I also check the them every 3 months when I remove the front half of the pant to check air pressure and have a look around.

Thanx to Carl’s post, #16 above, i finally found from when the 72 months is measured. The Service Letter states, “Start date for calendar limit is when the propeller is first installed and run on an engine.” Mine had sat idle in my garage for a few years and i had wondered about this and now glad to know the answer.

What percentage of these props are removed and sent to a qualified shop and inspected at 72 months? I imagine very a very low number.

I also can guess that this calendar time limit not the flight time limit is to protect from the worst conditions imaginable. Bet someone a cold drink that some lawyer must have dreamed that up.

What percentage of these props are removed and sent to a qualified shop and inspected at 72 months? I imagine very a very low number.

I also can guess that this calendar time limit not the flight time limit is to protect from the worst conditions imaginable. Bet someone a cold drink that some lawyer must have dreamed that up.

We?re always blaming the lawyers. From what I see in my shop some of them pass the inspection and some don?t. I guess I?d rather not be flying around with one that might not pass. 😀

Vic

Thanks Bobby for the explanation, I?ve got the James pants and they mount in a different fashion with no need for safety wire.

Yep, some mount differently. I was doing a prebuy once and mentioned to the owner that he should safety wire that bolt. He argued it wasn?t necessary and I was being too picky. When we pulled off the other wheel pant the bolt was missing. I rested my case.

Vic

It's probably based around concerns of corrosion and degradation of seals, vs. the fatigue, wear, and cracking concerns that would drive an hours or cycles limit.

We’re always blaming the lawyers. From what I see in my shop some of them pass the inspection and some don’t. I guess I’d rather not be flying around with one that might not pass. ��

Vic

Using a typical Dan Horton response....

This means nothing without knowing the detailed service history on props that pass vs props that don’t.

Don’t get me wrong Vic, thanks for sharing your experience with all of us and bringing attention to typical issues you find. You are saving lives!

Last edited:
For those of you going to OSH, I was there yesterday and we are going to redo this presentation on Tuesday and Thursday of OSH week in the Homebuilt Hangar. Watch for actual times as we get closer to publishing the Forum schedules.

Ona nother note, all of the changes to the grounds in the Hombeuilt area are happening. We are finally going to have our very OWN Homebuilt Review area. The Federal Pavillion (which has been a stanchion every since I have been going (1981)) has been torn down and most of the vendors who were down by the North 40, such as Van's, Kitfox, Rans. Sonex, etc, will be relocated to this very centralized area.

The Cafe by all of the shade trees at the end is also being relocated a little farther north, and in it's current place is where we will have our own Homebuilt Review area, complete with a cement HB logo and bleachers/stands.

Vic

This was our Falcon RV Squadron's first ever "safety" meeting related to RV maintenance and safety issues. Over 50 RV owners attended.

Please share this video with your RV friends: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXG7gRrh7UY

Vic has built multiple RVs, and has performed hundreds of pre-buy and condition inspections on RVs. He also authors articles for Kitplanes magazine offering loads of tips/tricks and advice for builders and owners.

Recently, Vic voiced his concern for safety-related flaws that he continues to find in our RVs and suggested a meeting to address those topics.

Even non-RV owners will find this presentation helpful for maintaining your airplane. Please spread pass this video along to your friends. Thanks.

2s6k6zo.jpg

Thanks Waldo

Thanks to Waldo from Falcon Squadron for syncing the video with the slides to make the presentation suitable. You did an excellent job.

Thanks to Waldo from Falcon Squadron for syncing the video with the slides to make the presentation suitable. You did an excellent job.

Thanks, Carol... But all the credit goes to Bill Bacon who took the video... There was no additional editing required-- He is our new media guy!

I really think Vic's presentation should be widely broadcast here on VAF. There are so many important RV safety/maintenance tips covered.

The scotchbrite as an air filter picture literally made my jaw drop. Thanks for the great presentation Vic.

Back