What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Experience with SF Sport Aviation Carpet

powerm

I wanted to leave feedback on a recent purchase of a carpet set from South Florida Sport Aviation for my RV-9a. I'm not a builder, nor am I very mechanical, but I have recent experience installing an Airtex interior in a
Piper Warrior that I completed by myself. The Airtex interior came with complete instructions and the carpet and upholstery installation was a great fit. Keying off the "Created for easy installation", and after talking to Eliane at SF, who assured me it was an easy install, I went ahead and ordered the set.

I subsequently received a box of carpet pieces with no rhyme or reason as to where these pieces go, other than a picture diagram with codes like "Carpet piece LT -3", "Carpet piece - 13", "Carpet piece RH -15", "Carpet mat - 26", etc. along with a few picture of the pieces installed from on their website, but no installation instructions. I've spent some time trying to figure out where these pieces go, and I'm still totally confused. I did manage, with some trimming, to install the baggage floor carpet, but that's all.

Eliane has been willing to help, but it's difficult trying to understand where these pieces fit over the phone. A few weeks ago I had two A&P's in my hangar trying to figure out how to install the carpet. They were convinced the set was for another aircraft, not a RV-9.

I called Eliane, explained my issues. She said because I had used one of the pieces, she would accept a return for a 50% refund. Or, she generously offered to install the set for me if I flew the plane to Delray Beach, FL. I live in Tucson, AZ and will not be flying to Delray Beach anytime soon.

Just wanted to provide some feedback so you can consider my experience. I would not recommend the SF Aviation carpet set for your RV-7 or 9.

Reply from South Florida Sport Aviation Carpet kit

We are sorry to see a customer unhappy with our product.

The carpet kit product that was sent to the customer was designed and developed to be used in RV-9s and RV-7s. It was already installed in 255 aircraft, 23 RV-7, 50 RV-7A, and 182 RV-9As.

Actually, the customer received installation instructions that were sent by email and can be downloaded from a link. He also confirmed that he got the instructions. The documentation has the details showing where each part should be installed. However, we are proud to offer 24/7 support to our customers. It can be through phone, facetime, WhatsApp, email, and if the customer still has questions we are used to putting together videos and photos to clarify ANY question.

South Florida Sport Aviation does everything possible to help and create a positive experience for our customers.

For this particular customer, since he showed that he wasn't willing to go through the installation process, SFSA gave him three options:
1) To install his carpet kit for FREE, including accommodations for him during his stay;
2) To create a detailed video to address his specific questions,
3) Even though the customer had already installed some parts (as he informed us), to get back the used parts for a50% re-stocking fee.

All our products are top quality and the carpet kits are not mats, it is a complete kit that will cover from the firewall to the bulkhead, including the landing gear mounts. There is an "installation process" involved, there is the use of glue, despite all the parts come trimmed to the correct size if you have a standard RV-9. It includes a beautiful leather bulkhead with RV-9/RV-7 embroidered, side panels for the baggage compartment with leather bags, leather detailing with stitching, the carpets already trimmed, mats, internal firewall cover, and many other details.

Anyway, we still available to help the customer to finish his installation.

He can have another beautiful RV-9 flying with our carpeting kit. Check the details:

https://sfsportaviation.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=61_66_67&product_id=58

For more information call us: (561)4549201

Luiz

Can’t speak for the 7 or 9 set, but the 10 set I installed went in very well, like everything you do for the first time there is a learning curve but the pre cut panels needed little or no trimming. Install instructions to me were a little confusing on one area, but a quick text to Elaine had that figured, I installed there full interior and are very happy with it. Pete.

I have their headliner, specifically custom fabricated to delete the overhead vents. I aim thrilled with the way it turned out.

As mentioned, first time for anything takes a lot of patience and learning.

Back