What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adding Autopilot & Knob Modules

pjeitler

I'm New Here
I ordered the Autopilot & Knob Modules kit. The instructions don't match the wiring in my plane (purchased, not built). From what I have researched it looks like somewhere along the line the Dynon was upgraded to a Skyview Classic.
Can't tell if it was a D180. are there any guides out there on how to install the knob modules into the upgraded harness?

Those boxes do not work with the D180. They are compatible with the Skyview Classic and new HDX screens.

Instructions are in the installation manual. The Button panel is plug and play. The AP panel requires wiring changes for trim motors, if you want auto-trim.

I purchased my RV-12 about two years ago. It was wired initially for the D-180 but before it was installed, Van's came out with the installation for the Skyview. My airplane has a conversion harness. There are two or three other guys on this forum who installed the these modules in an airplane with the conversion harness. Because they were successful, I went ahead and bought the modules. I was also successful. Without looking at the instructions, I don't remember the process. You do need to change the wiring for the trim to use the auto-trim, and it is well worth the little bit of extra effort. I installed a Tosten Grip on my airplane at the same time and put pitch trim on the stick grip. The auto-pilot controller provides for both pilot and co-pilot trim so I rewired the original trim switch for the co-pilot and the switch on the stick for the pilot. Both work fine.

One caveat is before you start the wiring, disconnect the battery ground wire. I didn't know to do this and I blew a one amp fuse that is on the circuit board behind the switch module and after installing these modules the battery would not charge. After a few hours of trouble shooting I found the problem.

Figured it out

I got the modules installed an working. Did a test flight today. Very pleased with the addition. :)

Back