What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nylon lube question

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
I am wondering what is a lube that has been used successfully on the nylon blocks used on a sliding canopy? On my -7 there are three, two at the rear where the pins lock into the holes and one where the rear of the canopy slides on the track.

Nothing?

I?ve never worked on an RV-8, but did a lot of work on the Grumman singles. The canopies have aluminum rails that slide on nylon tracks and Grumman said they should not be lubricated. When the canopies got sticky we cleaned the rails and tracks with alcohol, making sure all the dirt and contaminants were removed. Worked great. When you use any oil or grease, dirt tends to stick and gum things up. Some kind of dry lube might help, but nothing that?s wet or sticky.

The blocks are UHMW plastic which high lupricity as an inherent property. Teflon spray lube works well on the slider. Nothing really needed for the pins, but you could use it there also.

My canopy was hard to open. I put Boelube in the pin holes and the difference was dramatic!
Stewart Willoughby, 6 paint (as soon as it warms up around here)

Back