What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

5/8" flange

Flange

Two simple ways if you can't find a "spun" one:

1. Machine from billet

2. Weld flange to round tube

Either can then be cut and welded to a 45* angle (or any other).

Done it both ways - each works.

HFS

I found something similar on EBay. Not exactly what I was looking for but maybe they could work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know of a couple of builders who just made their own out of fiberglass because they couldn't find small diameter pieces like what you are needing.
All you need is a piece of round rod of something like wood or Styrofoam as a mold fastened onto a flat surface and lay the FG over it in whatever shape you want. Then trim it.
I did one for a 4" hose to an oil cooler that I molded using the back of the baffle so it would conform to the bends in the baffle. Worked great and was never affected by the engine heat.

home brewed

For what it's worth, instructions below.
I ended up making it myself as nothing appropriate was available.
I'll post photo's once the final product has dried because the last step was bonding the flared tubing to flared 024 sheet to act as the flange.

I didn't realize my flare kit went as high as 5/8 OD (actually goes much higher). So I started by making several 6061 tubes of 1" long and flared the ends.
To create the flare on the 024 I used a wood backing drilled to 3/4", drilled the flange to 1/2" undersized. I placed a 3/4" drill bit in the drill press, centered the drill bit over the hole/wood backing. I lubed the bit and the flange with corrosion-x and by hand counterrotated the but while using the press to create the down force, forcing the flange to form into the 3/4" hole.
The results are actually very nice.

As a final step used a 3/4" ID plastic tube to coax the entire assembly to conform better and then proseal the tube flare to the flange flare.

It could be done better obviously with a flare tool that could do flat surfaces. But with what I had available the results are great.

Cheers.

Back