What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

James cowl wetsuit boot question

SJ Nozzle Fabric

I did mine fabric out to provide the smoothest possible surface for internal air flow. This was done back in 2006 although I have replaced with new once.

Cheers

db

With the fabric thing all covered, there may be more for you.

The hose clamps did not seem to like saying put. I used the same urethane glue as bonding the neoprene ring to bond it to the inlet ring.

My axial gap is about 1/8". The diffuser side is left to float. Install and removal is rolling up the boot like a shirt sleeve and pulling out the ring. My inlet ring is the same. Roll it up before installation of the cowl, then reach down and unfurl it with a nice snap.

You also might want to support the seam in the material after it's glued together to make the tube. Both of mine began splitting at the seams. I used some black cloth that matched the cloth on the wetsuit material and glued it over the seam. They have been solid since. It wasn't the glue joint failing, but the foam was tearing next to the joint.

Thanks for the comments, I did put a reenforcing doubler strip on the joint after gluing. I am undecided about what to use for clamps. I do not like the worm drive hose clamps because they can cut into the wetsuit very easily. Any other tip are welcome!

Sam James wetsuit material

Anybody know a good place to buy this material besides Sam James? I?d like to get a roll and replace my aging ones.

Thanks, Jim

I use silicone tubing. Clamp on one side of you wish but let it able to move.

Ditto for the cooling inlets but I peeled the outer layer of rubber off to allow more flexibility. Also only clamped on the plenum side.

Back