What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Legacy kit?

Daesharacor

I'm New Here
Hi all.

I am currently in the process of building an -8 kit that was originally purchased in 1999 by a friend of mine, and was never touched.

I got from him the empennage kit, as well as the standard build wing kit.

My question:
-Is there anything that has changed about the -8 in the last 12 years? Has the manual been updated or refreshed? Have there been changes in the parts shipped? Is there anything I should contact Vans about?

Thanks, I don't want to build for a couple hundred hours only to find out that I need to take it apart as a small rib had changed or something like that.

Appreciate it!

You should contact Vans, get the info on the kit you have questions about, and to get the kit number reassigned to you.

The right advice is to contact Van's, but I can tell you that in '08 they went to the matchdrilled fuselage which has some definate differences from the previous version. They call it the -1 fuselage.

Dash one Fuse is fine mated with older wings, but...

I started my RV8 in 2005 and was one of the first to receive the Dash One Fuselage. They re-sent a completely new center section. This normally comes with the wings, as they are match drilled as a mated pair. When they sent the new center section, they said that the tooling was accurate enough that the fact that they were not match drilled was irrelevant.

I mated my wings to the fuselage about two weeks ago without a single hitch. I used "pins" that I made from hardware store bolts and they went in fairly easily. So, don't be concerned that the dash one fuselage includes a new center section.

Do not use the one that is with the original wing kit, it will not work with the dash one fuselage.

I echo the other responses, call Van's. At a minimum, get a new set of drawings and instructions, there were a few things omitted from my wing kit drawings (and instructions) that caused some serious head scratching. Vans sent me a couple of revised drawings recently that really helped.

Back