What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seat brace issues?

MacCool

Well Known Member
Has anyone found the need to reinforce the F-638 seat brace? Mine has not stood up well to my entry and exit technique. I do have an easy exit bar to install which should help but I think that a little extra support might prevent this problem in the future.

If you did reinforce it, how did you do it? I’m thinking of just riveting on a piece of 1/8 inch aluminum sheet, with or without lightening holes.

Attachments

• 29534EB7-A9B8-41EC-9527-56C5EA7D625E.jpg
    29534EB7-A9B8-41EC-9527-56C5EA7D625E.jpg
    425.2 KB · Views: 219
after a couple of years I completely removed my seat belt brace to gain all the lean back I could. remove it now, you will thank me later.

after a couple of years I completely removed my seat belt brace to gain all the lean back I could. remove it now, you will thank me later.

+1 -- or do you use them? Mine have sat on a shelf since before first flight, just in case someone comes along who needs them.

But if you actually use them that's another story (which I can't help with :) )

Looks like it's popping (rocking) out of the crossbar slot while you are entering/exiting the cockpit. If you normally use the brace, lock it in place with a screw & nut through it & the crossbar. One screw hole drilled in the middle should do it.

I cut my seatbacks below the brace to

give easier in/out and to make it easier to get to baggage compartment --- one of the best mods I made!

Ron

Looks like it's popping (rocking) out of the crossbar slot while you are entering/exiting the cockpit. If you normally use the brace, lock it in place with a screw & nut through it & the crossbar. One screw hole drilled in the middle should do it.

I think that's what happened once, which put a bend in it that's not going to be easy to erase in that flimsy piece of aluminum...it keeps re-bending, putting my shoulder at an angle that slants in and back in the cockpit. Not good. I wouldn't use the brace, except the plane came with an almost-a-14-mod and I need it in order to sit at the angle I want. On the passenger side, I need the two positions...one for my wife who is 5' - 5" and the other for my son who is 6' - 5". My 6 year-old granddaughter is indifferent. She's too busy looking outside to pay attention to seating position. (I've found that 5-point harnesses and booster seats are a little tricky).

I have a replacement piece coming frpm Van's, but of course it's as flimsy as the original. No one at Van's was sure of the hinge piece part number from my phone description so I'm waiting until I can look the plans, or until they deliver the flash drive I ordered so I can order it and just re-build the whole thing and then reinforce. Unless one of you fellow RV airmen has such a piece you're not using and would be willing to sell. Eventually, I guess I'll just rivet some aluminum plate to the hinge and keep the thing rigid enough to support my clumsy entrance technique.

I have the almost 14 mod in my 9a. Both of my braces bent. Pilot side I remade out of 1/8" aluminum and slightly shorter. The receiver for almost 14 mod allowed for thicker plate to work.

Co-Pilot side I added a plate to it.

Yeah, I guess that's the solution. I have some 6061 sitting around so I'll just make the brace, de-rivet the old one and re-rivet the new plate to the old piano hinge. In the meantime, I'll just pull the pin and swap the passenger side to the pilot side, and be careful getting in and out until I get the things replaced.

Back