What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GTX-327 software

Pilot135pd

Well Known Member
So mine is at 2.10 and I only have a Dynon D-180 and Garmin 496. I read that these are the updates but it was a post many years old. Mine seems to be working fine.

Any newer software updates I should consider ? :

GTX 327 V2.10 software was released in Feb. 2014 and is the latest software for all GTX 327 units manufactured before July 2014.

GTX 327 V2.12 software was released in July 2014 to support newer hardware in the GTX 327 units manufactured after that date.

GTX 327 V2.13 software was released in Aug. 2017 to address an altitude reporting issue only when using a Gillham based altitude encoder with GTX 327 (011-00490-00) serial numbers 83750922 to 83752847 or GTX 327 (011-00490-10) serial numbers 84000356 to 84000357.

GDL-82

You might try a search for GTX 327 and GDL 82, a number of us updated our 327's at Oshkosh a couple of years ago to be ready for the GDL-82, do not recall the specific version number.

You might try a search for GTX 327 and GDL 82, a number of us updated our 327's at Oshkosh a couple of years ago to be ready for the GDL-82, do not recall the specific version number.

The version would be on your transponder when it boots up. If it was a few years ago most likely the version 2.13 and the GDL might have that Gilliam based encoder. I don?t have a GDL though. Thanks.

ho to then

How would somebody update their GTX327 unit.
Would it have to go back to Garmin or is there a way of doing it ourselves.

I brought my GTX-327 to my local avionics shop for the upgrade from v2.09 to v2.13. They charged me $50 for a half hour labor. The 327 and my new G3X Touch happily communicate.

How would somebody update their GTX327 unit.
Would it have to go back to Garmin or is there a way of doing it ourselves.

You could prepare a short harness but for $50 I'd take it to a shop and be done faster. That is IF you need the update. I've come to realize I have no need to update it because there's nothing in the new updates that affect how mine works now. It depends on when yours was built and what equipment you're using in addition to the GTX 327, if you need it or not.

You could prepare a short harness but for $50 I'd take it to a shop and be done faster. That is IF you need the update. I've come to realize I have no need to update it because there's nothing in the new updates that affect how mine works now. It depends on when yours was built and what equipment you're using in addition to the GTX 327, if you need it or not.

Yes. I have found the GDL 82 works fine with the GTX 327 no matter the software level. If you think about it if the GDL 82 works find with an serviceable old vacuum tube transponder then why would any transponder need a software update to work with it. The GDL 82 intercepts the antenna signal no matter the source. I think there was some confusion because the GDL 88 does require a certain transponder software level on the GTX 32/327 with their direct digital connection. But few of us use the GDL 88 (which I happen to dig).

Back