What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

chrispratt

Well Known Member
May 30, 2020 marks 15 years since my first flight in RV-8 N898DK. I can?t believe it?s been that long. Fifteen years ago, the 30th of May was Memorial Day and so it has been an easy anniversary to remember.

https://photos.smugmug.com/VAF-Postings/i-FWVtQGK/0/b3355723/320/First Takeoff 5-30-05-320.mp4

https://photos.smugmug.com/VAF-Postings/i-39Wbz4b/0/45cfc83f/320/First Landing 5-30-05-320.mp4

First flight videos (takeoff, landing) courtesy Mike Reddick, RV-6. Sorry for the blurry images.

Speaking of blurs, the first flight went by in a blur. People asked me if I was nervous, but frankly I was too focused on the flight to think about it. Location was Hicks Field (T67) in Fort Worth, Texas. Chase plane flown by Mr. DK himself (Danny King). The airplane was at Jay Pratt?s shop for final assembly after 6.5 years in my home production facility (garage). It took about 50 flight hours to discover and work through all the minor, mostly first-time-builder issues and after that it?s been a joy to fly.

Looks even better once painted. Photo courtesy Jim Wilson

No regrets other than I need to fly more often.

For you first-time builders, keep at it, you?ll be glad you did.

Blue skies,

Chris

Nice RV8!

That's a beautiful RV-8 Chris! I hope you enjoy it for another 15 years. Mine (N801MC) was finished in 2003, but I've only owned it since February. It's a fantastic design.

I notice you were at Hicks; if still there and you get a chance, say hi to Chad Degges if you know him. He bought my 172, N9903V which is based there now.

Happy Anniversary Chris. I have always admired your 8, and the great food run we all took. To another 15!

That's a beautiful RV-8 Chris! I hope you enjoy it for another 15 years. Mine (N801MC) was finished in 2003, but I've only owned it since February. It's a fantastic design.

I notice you were at Hicks; if still there and you get a chance, say hi to Chad Degges if you know him. He bought my 172, N9903V which is based there now.

Thank you. I'm not at Hicks but close by at 52F. I'll look for him next time I visit "down South".

Chris

15 years

Fifteen years of Total Performance, and RV grins!

I'm glad you kept pounding those rivets and resisted the urge to roll her out on garbage collection day when the frustration meter hit max. She's a beautiful 8 and I've seen your face beam when admirers ooh and aww all over her.

Here's to another 15 years!

Fifteen years of Total Performance, and RV grins!

I'm glad you kept pounding those rivets and resisted the urge to roll her out on garbage collection day when the frustration meter hit max. She's a beautiful 8 and I've seen your face beam when admirers ooh and aww all over her.

Here's to another 15 years!

Thank you Delta Kilo. I've got to keep her flying and in good shape or you'll never let me forget it :D. Thanks for keeping the garbage men at bay!

Chris

Back