What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Product Announcement: GTN 650Xi & GTN 750Xi Series IFR Navigators (1/6/2020)

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
We are excited to announce our new GTN 650Xi and GTN 750Xi as the latest addition to the Garmin product line of touchscreen IFR navigators.

Designed as a direct slide-in upgrade to the previous generation GTN 650/750, pilots can preserve their panel and modernize the cockpit with the new GTN 650Xi and GTN 750Xi. Available in five different versions, the GTN Xi series matches its predecessor in providing options with or without COMM or NAV radios. The all-in-one GTN 750Xi GPS/NAV/COMM boasts a large feature-rich multifunction display and can integrate with new or existing remote-mount equipment such as a transponder or audio panel. Dual-core processors and modern hardware also prepare the GTN Xi Series for advanced capabilities in the future. The GTN 650Xi and GTN 750Xi have received FAA approval and are available immediately for fixed-wing single-engine and multi-engine piston, turbine and experimental aircraft.

bRDv8WmkaQSYvBrDvAbQjXdHBkdO1BRGJuEWnvjm1C1T_HX432HpG_-dFjerFjykhg6invpfzLt290OxG8YhGQY_LGcjTgm_vKxwtqGyKyteqp4WCpvhKx4qDSeYS0dev0J8WPDTr8bN9pXjvaBYRP8h_WXhWx1Taj371JLKQfp0yoN3cgHx7bleI_h3dcIDyc0zjSUb4tYpdmdxCKZgqoRjRsCdnIG05P0cR1UfTZDYr2SNGdOaXmebaZjyjGWty88S7LuWENXJ6WCaXeiBny-Zg9-SIDzrnlRC8Do-Qm0JJkSXZI22cxpZHaPhqouFMeMTjmn-znyHcAxlQiUE7HbdHjgeLF8EYSuzClkHMnMQdVSI4qEqRTELUtM9o-RCSO-EhVxUSGuKJlfQtNXn6W1zUfACTEBk2fvZL7qZeHGoBcM9jTscJPeQdAYvtCghZoCqzrlny-uIjqR2AM5htk_8pluahL0xuBZ_PAscibSx3Nc3Dt3XA98TEKNRqGriaXtbItl9W5HHm-75CPQTtOeiQxKa5YUHUYfjhWEtVm0tPcuJoenkGEzAb4WicBF-XaNPoSziGa9NFAW5dFEYMy9k9lC4tx3oEXxx9ZjKmorM2KfmFH9F02p7QYwCSeaHB7ty-7Iob3r_xBMm-QfaoZqr76NgEdVz36iBbLoqlCY6B00qnTWBGiUJv2XTMg4Xdke4oaqv3wO19DoMog76McyCdptInnV9dFmED653=w474-h455-no

Modern processing power and state-of-the-art hardware within the GTN 650Xi/750Xi supports faster map rendering and smoother panning throughout the touchscreen navigator. It boasts a large, ultra-high-resolution display and wide viewing angle that offers superior readability in the cockpit. The displays initialize within seconds of start-up, providing immediate access to frequencies and flight plan information, saving valuable time in the aircraft. Preserving the same form factor as the previous generation GTN 650/750, the 6-inch-tall GTN 750Xi and the 2.65-inch-tall GTN 650Xi offer an intuitive touchscreen design with a dedicated direct-to button and dual concentric knob that provide added convenience when interfacing with the display.

Wireless connectivity is available with the optional Flight Stream 510, allowing pilots to connect their mobile devices running the Garmin Pilot? and FltPlan Go applications to the GTN 650Xi/750Xi.

Designed as a direct slide-in upgrade to the previous generation GTN series, the GTN Xi series offers an easy upgrade path for customers equipped with an existing GTN navigator. Because most settings are stored on the configuration module, only COMM and NAV configuration settings must be manually entered during the upgrade. Please note that pilot-controlled settings are not transferred as part of the upgrade. New software v6.70 is also available for the original GTN series, enabling crossfill with the GTN Xi series. Because normal installation components will not be needed for this upgrade, GTN Xi kits including only the GTN Xi unit and a product info kit are available.

Additionally, new training offerings are now available. The GTN Essentials 2.0 eLearning Course provides instruction on best practices for operational use of the GTN series or GTN Xi series. This e-learning course is included with the purchase of a GTN Xi system. GTN Xi Trainer Apps for PC and iPad? are also available for download at no cost, offering a self-study tool for dealers and customers to familiarize themselves with these systems.

GTN 650Xi and GTN 750Xi are available immediately for a list price of $12,495 and $17,995 respectively. Kits to upgrade from the original GTN 650 and GTN 750 will also be available, which allow you to purchase the unit only, and do not include the rack, backplate, connector kit and configuration module.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
GTN650Xi

Wow, You release this on the 6th and Stein ships my GTN 650 on the 7th, Story of my life!!!!

Flightstream

You would think that they would have built the flight stream into the unit.

additional functionality

Not sure I understand the additional functionality that the Xi has over the original GTN 650?

Where is a detailed comparison shown? ..... GTN 650 vs GTN 650Xi

GTN 650XI

Looks like a faster processor and quicker rendering but worth the extra cost? One statement is interesting:

“Wireless connectivity is available with the optional Flight Stream 510, allowing pilots to connect their mobile devices running the Garmin Pilot™ and FltPlan Go applications to the GTN 650Xi/750Xi.”

So why didn’t Garmin install a built in WiFi to allow sharing with Garmin Pilot instead of having to rely on the Flight Stream 510? I have an AFS touchscreen EFIS with WiFi that sends data to my IPAD for ADSB traffic and weather. I haven’t experimented with sending flight plans but I think the capability is there depending on which IPAD EFB platform is used.

Maybe I’m missing something but not ready to give up my GTN650 for a rather limited and expensive upgrade.

iPad app, free trainer for new GTN 650Xi/750Xi?

9 am EST, Jan 8

Just downloaded the TXi app into my iPad and cannot find option to select GTN 650Xi. FYI: to find the TXi app in the Apple App Store don?t search on GTN. Search for TXi.

My TXi download this morning was the 3.01.1 Trainer, supporting G500/G600 TXi series, options to select 7? and 10? GDU displays. No option to select GTN 650Xi.

Have already been using the original GTN app to examine the earlier 650, and want to operate the 650Xi to compare the features....

The iPad GTN 650Xi app not currently ready/available in the Apple Store????

Carl

Wow

18K for a box of coolness. Yikes. Thats a big whack.

Sure its the bomb... I must be getting old, thats close to what i paid for my matttituck red gold io320 :D

GTN Xi Series

Not sure I understand the additional functionality that the Xi has over the original GTN 650?

Where is a detailed comparison shown? ..... GTN 650 vs GTN 650Xi

The GTN 750Xi and GTN 650Xi Series of Navigators retain all of the advanced navigation, communication, flight planning, and mapping functionality of the popular GTN series, as well as a new dual core processor, hardware, and design updates, which will be important for supporting more advanced capabilities in the future.

Some of the most obvious differences you will notice in the cockpit with the GTN Xi series is the brighter IPS LED display, faster boot up time and database initialization, quicker map rendering, panning, zooming, and more.

The GTN Xi Series Navigators will succeed the GTN series. The GTN Series Navigators will continue to be fully supported by Garmin?s award-winning Aviation Product Support team.

Thanks,

Justin

I guess this is why its best to wait until the last possible minute to order avionics. I have my panel installed, but wont be flying for another 3 months. It?s outdated already

I guess this is why its best to wait until the last possible minute to order avionics. I have my panel installed, but wont be flying for another 3 months. It?s outdated already

Mine shipped yesterday and is already outdated, Oh well, the perils of technology!!!

GTN 650Xi and GTN 750Xi are available immediately for a list price of $12,495 and $17,995 respectively. Kits to upgrade from the original GTN 650 and GTN 750 will also be available, which allow you to purchase the unit only, and do not include the rack, backplate, connector kit and configuration module.

Thanks,

Justin

Justin - since there will be an upgrade kit available, will there be any kind of trade in program for 1st gen GTN units?

GTN 650 XI

I don’t know about the new one Justin but the 650 is pretty darn fast and very bright so i am a happy camper already.

Last edited:
GTN 625

Hi Justin! Did the 625 get an XI update as well?

Hi Bill,

Indeed it did. The GTN 650, 635, and 625 have been succeeded by the GTN 650Xi, GTN 635Xi, and GTN 625Xi respectively. The GTN 750, and 725 have been succeeded by the GTN 750Xi, and GTN 725Xi.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
Justin,
What is the factor upgrade process for a 10 month old GTN 625? Where do I send my unit and what is the upgrade cost. I have the latest Garmin transponder and audio panel, just need the 625 updated.

Mine shipped yesterday and is already outdated, Oh well, the perils of technology!!!

Big SHOUT out to Nick Millard at Steinair, he stopped shipment of my panel yesterday when the upgrade was announced. I will now have the New GTN 650Xi installed, can't beat the help and support from the folks at Steinair!!

Big SHOUT out to Nick Millard at Steinair, he stopped shipment of my panel yesterday when the upgrade was announced. I will now have the New GTN 650Xi installed, can't beat the help and support from the folks at Steinair!!
Indeed they are, great folks.

George

Oh man, talk about proof you should wait until the last possible second to buy avionics, I nearly pulled the trigger on my whole panel suite in December... Glad I waited.

Any chance we could get pricing on the GTN sub models as well? Thanks!

GTN Xi Series Pricing

Oh man, talk about proof you should wait until the last possible second to buy avionics, I nearly pulled the trigger on my whole panel suite in December... Glad I waited.

Any chance we could get pricing on the GTN sub models as well? Thanks!

These are unit only prices:

• GTN 650 Xi - $10,300.00
  • GTN 635 Xi - $9,300.00
  • GTN 625 Xi - $8,400.00
  • GTN 750 Xi - $15,900.00
  • GTN 725 Xi - $13,905.00

There are not any upgrade paths from a GTN to a GTN Xi at this time.

Thanks,

Justin

Garmin should consider offering an upgrade option for the GTN 6xx & 7xx similar to the GSN 430 and 530 WASS upgrade a few years ago. It is difficult to own new and expensive aviation equipment without a path to upgrade the same hardware box.

Selecting a brand of avionics should include support and sustainability of the product. If a manufacturer forces customers to buy new hardware every 3-5 years to stay current, that my not be a sustainable business model.

I like my 14 month old all Garmin panel, however, owners need a reasonable path forward with this kind of technology.

Any outdated models available...?

So.... for ya all who have those dinosaur "outdated" 625, 635, or 650's. Any chance you might wanna part with it at a decent price for those of us who can't afford a brand spanking new model...? :rolleyes::D;)

I was there yesterday and then got an email from Nick last night telling me about the new GTN series. Sometimes it pays to procrastinate. And yes, the folks at SteinAir are the best! This is my second panel with them and I wouldn?t go anywhere else.

Garmin doing the apple thing?

iPhone 6 to iPhone 6s... same things with faster chips?

Well who knows maybe the normal 625/650s will become reasonably priced after a few people have updated them...

Not hating. I love Garmin instruments but they are really expensive.

GTN Support

Garmin should consider offering an upgrade option for the GTN 6xx & 7xx similar to the GSN 430 and 530 WASS upgrade a few years ago. It is difficult to own new and expensive aviation equipment without a path to upgrade the same hardware box.

Selecting a brand of avionics should include support and sustainability of the product. If a manufacturer forces customers to buy new hardware every 3-5 years to stay current, that my not be a sustainable business model.

I like my 14 month old all Garmin panel, however, owners need a reasonable path forward with this kind of technology.

Our GTN navigators are still fully supported both in software updates for new features, and repairs for any worn or damaged equipment. We also continue to offer repair and support for our GNS Navigators which were introduced in 1998, over 20 years ago.

I do not know what kind or promotions may be in store for the newly released equipment.

Thanks,

Justin

Garmin must have known ....

They must have known that I still have money in my bank account. I?ll probably do the upgrade from my 750 to the 750 Xi soon.

So what?s my 2 year old 750 worth?

Maybe I missed it but as of now, just a faster boot up and maybe a better resolution on the screen seem to be the difference.
Is this upgrade worth a few thousand $$$?

If this is all I get for the upgrade, I prefer to spend that $$$ on AVGAS.

No significant differences!!!

Well I fly a citation with G1000 and my boss bought a Cessna with G1000NXI about a year ago, let's see what the new supra dua NXI gives us.

Nothing that I would want to spend any $$$

Perhaps you guys have money to spend on the" Emperors new clothes".

Connect vs Bluetooth

With my GTN 375 the unit has built in connectivity with Bluetooth. I can move flight plans from the Garmin Pilot on my Samsung Tablet to the GNX 375. Since this capability is what is being promoted as the rational for purchasing the Garmin connect option on the XI I'm left wondering. Why is is that connectivity is standard on the GTN 375 and optional on the XI. Sounds like marketing overruled engineering.
Carlton

They must have known that I still have money in my bank account. I?ll probably do the upgrade from my 750 to the 750 Xi soon.

So what?s my 2 year old 750 worth?

Oh, it's worthless now. It'll cost you just to pull it out and dispose of it properly. I'll do you a favor, just ship it to me and I'll take care of it for you. :D

Hey g3xpert, any chance the power consumption of the units is lower than their predecessors? One of the reasons I chose the GPS175 over a GTN unit was the significantly lower power draw, but if these newer units consume less power, might be a compelling item...

These are unit only prices:

• GTN 650 Xi - $10,300.00
  • GTN 635 Xi - $9,300.00
  • GTN 625 Xi - $8,400.00
  • GTN 750 Xi - $15,900.00
  • GTN 725 Xi - $13,905.00

There are not any upgrade paths from a GTN to a GTN Xi at this time.

Thanks,

Justin

Justin. You probably get this kind of stuff all the time. But I wonder why there was never a GTN 735 or now a GTN 735Xi. A GPS/Com in the larger format would be perfect for pilots flying fire tankers with its bigger screen. They are prohibited from flying IFR and don't have VOR antennas but situational awareness is a huge thing, as is synthetic vision. Most install a GTN 635 with an Aspen with synthetic vision and I can't say that I blame them what with all the mountains and smoke. A GTN 735iX would be a hit. And a G3X Touch would be a life saver. Literally. But the 735 is a unicorn and the G3X Touch AML doesn't include these heroic airframes.

Hey g3xpert, any chance the power consumption of the units is lower than their predecessors? One of the reasons I chose the GPS175 over a GTN unit was the significantly lower power draw, but if these newer units consume less power, might be a compelling item...

Just curious and a bit confused .. I can't imagine what would be an issue with power with any modern avionics. At full swing Dual G3X, G5, Dual comms, GTN625, all the lights on, 3 axis autopilot, auto trim, etc, my ammeter never gets above 14 amps. What's your power limitation?

It's purely for standby/backup/emergency power purposes, not for active flying.

The GTN650:

Main Connector 1.6A Typical 2.8A Max
Comm Connector .45A Typical 5.66A Max (16Watt) 4.02A (10Watt)
Nav Connector .6A Typical 1.16A Max

The newer units:

GPS 175 GPS Navigator
14V: Typical 0.6A, Maximum 0.9A

GNC 355 GPS Navigator with COM radio
GPS/Main Connector
14V: Typical 0.6A, Maximum 0.9A
COM Connector
14V: Typical 1.8A, Maximum 6.0A

Specifically quoting g3xpert in another previous post:

"The low power consumption (compared to older equipment) is another reason these units are attractive." - when referring to the GPS175/355/375 units.

Maybe I missed it but as of now, just a faster boot up and maybe a better resolution on the screen seem to be the difference.
Is this upgrade worth a few thousand $$$?

If this is all I get for the upgrade, I prefer to spend that $$$ on AVGAS.

The Original GTN Navigators are no longer available for purchase, they were succeeded by the GTN Xi Series Navigators. The GTN Xi has been in development for some time, to upgrade the existing hardware for better performance and compatibility with future capabilities.

The Original GTN Series Navigators are very capable navigation units and will continue to be fully supported both in repair and future software updates for new features themselves.

With my GTN 375 the unit has built in connectivity with Bluetooth. I can move flight plans from the Garmin Pilot on my Samsung Tablet to the GNX 375. Since this capability is what is being promoted as the rational for purchasing the Garmin connect option on the XI I'm left wondering. Why is is that connectivity is standard on the GTN 375 and optional on the XI. Sounds like marketing overruled engineering.
Carlton

The 2 inch Navigators were designed around an integrated Bluetooth driver. The GTN Xi is the next generation of the original GTN Navigator, and we opted to use the existing Flightstream Bluetooth hardware and interface, while focusing on hardware upgrades that will facilitate advanced capabilities in the future.

The typical current draw is the same for both the GTN 650 and GTN 650Xi Series Navigators.

Thanks,

Justin

GTN 650Xi and GTN 750Xi are available immediately for a list price of $12,495 and $17,995 respectively.

My left butt cheek clinched where my pant pocket and wallet are.... $12.5K-$18K (about $2K less without radio/NAV). :eek: I want one but can't justify the cost for a small single engine kit plane. However it is impressive. Amazing technology for GA which surpasses what is in many airliners. Garmin should continue to develop the lower cost GPS models like the GPS 175.

GTN Xi

My left butt cheek clinched where my pant pocket and wallet are.... $12.5K-$18K (about $2K less without radio/NAV). :eek: I want one but can't justify the cost for a small single engine kit plane. However it is impressive. Amazing technology for GA which surpasses what is in many airliners. Garmin should continue to develop the lower cost GPS models like the GPS 175.

We have released several options for IFR Navigation in the last year. With the GPS 175 coming in at under $5000, the cost to equip an aircraft for GPS approach capability was reduced significantly. Between the GPS 175, GNC 355, GNX 375, and GTN Xi Series, we have worked to produce different options for different missions in General Aviation, and in this case improving upon previously released equipment.

Thanks,

Justin

I've had my head buried in the interconnect documentation for the last week. What the GTN really needs is to get on the CAN "bus", thereby eliminating all of the 429 wiring and the GAD 29 interface box in many of our installations.

There is almost a whole connector on the GTN "reserved for future use". Hmm, if I were a betting man...

Crossfeed?

G3xpert,
Will this Xi upgrade allow crossfeed between the new GNC355 and Xi radio?s. Also, having a GNC with built in Bluetooth in the same panel with a 750 or 650 using Flightstream, how do you seamlessly transfer data between an iPad and both radio?s if they don?t crossfeed? Would you need two separate Bluetooth connections?
Thanks!
Jim

"which will be important for supporting more advanced capabilities in the future."

Any hint on just what these capabilities will be ??

I am happy with the speed, resolution, and contrast of my current GTN650.
It was quite a step up from the 430W it replaced.

GNC 355

G3xpert,
Will this Xi upgrade allow crossfeed between the new GNC355 and Xi radio?s. Also, having a GNC with built in Bluetooth in the same panel with a 750 or 650 using Flightstream, how do you seamlessly transfer data between an iPad and both radio?s if they don?t crossfeed? Would you need two separate Bluetooth connections?
Thanks!
Jim

Jim,

There is no cross-fill function between the GNC 355 and another navigator at this time.

Thanks,

Justin

Correct me if I'm wrong. If you build a new panel from scratch using a Garmin G3X or Dynon Skyview or GRT for your RV kit plane project you have a way to display your GPS map and IAP (approach) information as well as weather and traffic if so desired and equiped. Correct? If all you need is a GPS position information or for IFR TSO'ed GPS with approach data, the GPS doesn't necessarily have to have its own map display.

It seems these stand alone GPS with full map are ideally suited for upgrading older certified planes with older steam gauges. But in kit plane/amateur world we have a whole bunch of "experimental" EFIS we can choose from to display our map, especially with a new clean sheet build.

Question is why not have a remote GPS controlled by EFIS vs. Large panel mounted GPS with another MAP display? Seems redundant? May be that answer redundancy.

Correct me if I'm wrong. If you build a new panel from scratch using a Garmin G3X or Dynon Skyview or GRT for your RV kit plane project you have a way to display your GPS map and IAP (approach) information as well as weather and traffic if so desired and equiped. Correct? If all you need is a GPS position information or for IFR TSO'ed GPS with approach data, the GPS doesn't necessarily have to have its own map display.

It seems these stand alone GPS with full map are ideally suited for upgrading older certified planes with older steam gauges. But in kit plane/amateur world we have a whole bunch of "experimental" EFIS we can choose from to display our map, especially with a new clean sheet build.

Question is why not have a remote GPS controlled by EFIS vs. Large panel mounted GPS with another MAP display? Seems redundant? May be that answer redundancy.

I suspect it is the marketing. The percentage of the owners to have such EIFS and want to have a unit to provide them just the TSOed GPS data, I suspect are far fewer than a unit that can be used by both the EiFS owners or those who don't have a EIFS and one a complete unit.

When buying the unit-only part for the new xi navigators (to upgrade a legacy GTN-650), does the unit-only version ship with manuals and sd card?

Not exactly what you are describing but for the money, if you have a large EFIS like the G3X, the GPS 175 is a heck of a good deal

650 to 650xi

My local shop says that there is a trade in option for like 45 to 90 days on a new unit Garmin updates. Not sure which it is, but contact Stein and see if they will upgrade your new in the box 650 to the new 650xi.

Brian

When buying the unit-only part for the new xi navigators (to upgrade a legacy GTN-650), does the unit-only version ship with manuals and sd card?

The GTN Xi 'Unit Only' part number does come with the product information manual and pilot's guide, but does not include a database SD card.

Best Regards,

Brad

Back