What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing tires

prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm doing my second tire change now since I finished my RV-9A, 9 years ago. My last tire change was about 4.5 years ago. This time I found separating the wheels from the tires was almost impossible. I let the air out of the tubes, took the bolts out of the wheels, but I could not, despite much effort prying and pulling, get the wheel halves out of the tires. I ended up having the cut the tires (while still on the wheels), and even then it was difficult to get them off.
Is there a trick to this?

Sometimes it is tough removing the tires from the hubs. Mine have always come off when I hold on to something and jump around on the floor with my heel close into the hub. I bet if you had taken them to a tire place they'd break the bead for you maybe even no charge.

Use some wd40 down around the tire bead where its binding on the wheel hub. Also a wood clamp to pinch the OLD tire to the center with maybe 2 of the hub half bolts in place works good for me. This assuming you are trashing the old tire and tube. Most recommend talc power to reinstall the tire /tube onto the hub.

Harbor Freight Aviation Dept

HF has motorcycle tire bead breakers. Work great on our little wheels. Inexpensive!

Simple DIY tool

I'm doing my second tire change now since I finished my RV-9A, 9 years ago. My last tire change was about 4.5 years ago. This time I found separating the wheels from the tires was almost impossible. snipped
Is there a trick to this?

All you need is a piece of 3/4" plywood about 2 feet square. Draw an X to find the center, then cut out a hole just larger than the rim on the wheel. Place some heavy cardboard on the floor. Place the wheel/tire on that. Place the plywood tool over the wheel/tire combination. Simply stand on the plywood. If it's really stubborn, jump up and down on the plywood until the bead breaks.Flip the wheel/tire over and repeat on the other side. If you are small or infirm, get a "jumbo sized" buddy to do this for you.

Charlie

Just did a tire change four days ago. I took my tire to a tire shop they used a hydraulic bead breaker worked great the comment from the nice gentleman who did it for free was wow that was tight

After my experience, and reading some of these replies about breaking the bead, I'm amazed that some people are able to remove and flip their tires after asymmetric tread-wear and re-install them!

I use a Dake #1 arbor press I happen to have. Just put the ram on the bead up against the rim and hit two or three spots around the rim. Works great.

I remove the wheel, deflate the tire, then place the wheel flat on the ground on a piece of cardboard or plywood. Then I stand on the sidewalls to break the bead loose.

Anti-Splat

I bought the Anti-Splat tool. Fits in the drill press and works like a charm. I flip my tires, since they wear unevenly. Still time consuming....

Rivet gun with a mushroom set. Run it around the the tire near the rim until the bead breaks. I bet you even have the tools in your toolbox!
V

bead breaking

Wait a minute... what does it mean to "break the bead"? Does this mean to actually cut the rubber? Or does it just mean to push the tire off the wheel?

Harbor Freight tool ditto

I used to fight and cuss like mad. Super cheap motorcycle tool pops them off hardly trying and requires no press. Just a bit of a pry in a couple spots and its done. Best solution by FAR in my opinion.

I'll second the inexpensive Harbor Freight bead breaker. I've used that on many ATV tires, and once you've replaced an 8 year old set of ATV tires you'll never complain about stubborn aircraft wheels again.:)

Bead breaker

I also bought the Anti-Splat tool. I last used it two days ago - it makes the job simple and easy.

This unit makes the job easy pleasy. Extremely simple and quick. That is assuming you have a drill press handy.

Back