What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

my automotoive headrest addition

prkaye

Well Known Member
I love my Classic Aero Designs Sportsman seats, but I always wanted headrests. Don't ask me why (I'll probably tell you I like the look of them, and then get flamed for my misplaced priorities). I can't justify the cost of the Aviator seats, even though I'd love to have them. So I spent $100 and bought a pair of leather automotive headrests on ebay. Drilled a couple of holes in the top of my seat frames, added a bit of steel tubing, and voila. I think they look pretty cool. Removing them is as easy as pulling them up and out. Photo below (only one seat installed in this photo).
http://halie.com/o58.jpg

I did something similar, but instead of just the headrest, went the whole hog and used seats from a Suzuki Swift in my -9. I usually fly without the headrests installed so I can reach around into the baggage compartment, but they're available if I want them. Cost was all of $300 for the pair, and another $50 for the upholsterer to remove & sew a cutout around the sticks.

41077602010_dbfcbd48fc_c.jpg

34243805791_6f3153e6fc_c.jpg

What kind of weight are those seats? How are the flight characteristics with the seat cushion interference?
The seats are basically just the cushions. From the wreckers you unzip the back and remove the heavy steel frame and simply slide it over the standard Vans aluminium seat back.

I would guesstimate a grand total of 10Lbs all up for both, though that can be a bit more if you want to keep the steel frame in the bottom cushion, but I've found the foam holds its shape very well without it.

With the stick cutout (I don't have a photo showing it, unfortunately), there's no interference with the stick against the bottom cushion whatsoever. I removed a 6x6x6" cube in the bottom cushion to give the necessary stick clearance and took it to an upholsterer to sew a nice patch of vinyl around the hole to give it a factory look. I found my body was moved around 2-3" forwards vs my "sewed by myself" thin cushions I was previously flying with, so I don't tend to get full aft stick anymore without making a conscious effort to do so - I have 2 plates in my right wrist so bending it too much tends to hurt - but that's as much of a change as they have introduced. I can still do full backstick stalls and landings without any issues.

One thing - these seats have airbags installed in the outboard sides. You'll need to remove them, 2 bolts each, before you get too involved.

33990189430_f8298da69f_c.jpg

Last edited:
Great idea

My Ace Copilot has been asking about headrests, because she loves snoozing in the plane. Have to keep her happy. This looks like a great mod.

Love that paint scheme by the way!

I love my Classic Aero Designs Sportsman seats, but I always wanted headrests. Don't ask me why (I'll probably tell you I like the look of them, and then get flamed for my misplaced priorities). I can't justify the cost of the Aviator seats, even though I'd love to have them. So I spent $100 and bought a pair of leather automotive headrests on ebay. Drilled a couple of holes in the top of my seat frames, added a bit of steel tubing, and voila. I think they look pretty cool. Removing them is as easy as pulling them up and out. Photo below (only one seat installed in this photo).
http://halie.com/o58.jpg

Back