What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

cable for DJM quadrant

prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm planning to replace my push/pull throttle and mixture controls with a DJM quadrant. Could somebody point me to the spruce part number for the correct type of throttle/mixture cable that will work with the quadrant? (If I recall correctly, the original push/pull controls came with the cable integrated).
Also, what other hardware do I need to attach the throttle cable to the quadrant?

There is some details on installing the DJM throttle quadrant on my website.

Here is the link.

Note the clevis pins post from 10/7/2006.

There is some details on installing the DJM throttle quadrant on my website.

Here is the link.

Note the clevis pins post from 10/7/2006.

Good catch! You're right about the clevis ends...I, too, had the same issue and had to place the order w/ ACS, now that you mention it. In fact, it was a pretty tight fit side-to-side, and IIRC I had to grind off a touch of the sides of the clevises (clevii?) to avoid interference. YMMV.

700 hours now and they've been working flawlessly, though...and look way better IMO than Cessna-style pushbuttons. :)

FYI - The 45.5" cables I ordered from Van's worked with both engines I have had in my plane. The original, light O-290d2, with the longer engine mount and the O-360 with the shorter engine mount.

700 hours now and they've been working flawlessly, though...and look way better IMO than Cessna-style pushbuttons. :)

Probably one of the best mods I did! Well worth the time and effort!

More so when you look at how I set mine up so that I can raise and lower the flaps without removing my hand from the quadrant. On a go around, I open my hand, push the carb heat in with my thumb, levers forward with the side of my hand, and raise the flaps with my finger, all without removing my hand from the throttle quadrant.

For formation flights, I rest the palm of my hand on the quadrant and hook the throttle lever with my thumb. It is really easy to make very small throttle adjustments.

Last edited:
cable travel

Thanks guys!
I noticed that the quadrant says it has a cable travel length of 2.375". The cables from Vans have a cable travel length of 2.125". I'm assuming this is OK, just means the quadrant won't quite move through it's full range of motion from idle to full power?

Thanks guys!
I noticed that the quadrant says it has a cable travel length of 2.375". The cables from Vans have a cable travel length of 2.125". I'm assuming this is OK, just means the quadrant won't quite move through it's full range of motion from idle to full power?

Mine do, but if you need to, you can put another hole in the lever, closer to the pivot point.

I've got the quadrant physically mounted, and the cables from Vans will arrive in a few days. One thing I haven't been able to puzzle through ahead of time is how the cable movement will work at the point where it meets the quadrant. The attach point for the clevis on the quadrant moves through a considerable arc when the lever is moved, but the end of the cable is rigid and needs to slide back and forth in a straight line.
Does anybody have any photos showing the rigging of a throttle or mixture cable to a quadrant on the cockpit side?

Between the bulkhead mount and the cable end they design in a flex point. I think it's around 10 degrees. It'll make sense as soon as you have the cable in hand, but they're designed to allow it to work while moving through the arc.

Between the bulkhead mount and the cable end they design in a flex point. I think it's around 10 degrees. It'll make sense as soon as you have the cable in hand, but they're designed to allow it to work while moving through the arc.

Correct. My cable does a sort of S turn. Straight FWD from the quadrant, then bends down and then horizontal to go through the firewall.

You will LOVE the quadrant! It is one of the best mods I made when I built my -9 and if I were building again, I would not hesitate to order up another DJM quadrant!

Back