What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Build time mods:Wings

madmaveric

Well Known Member
I have finished my empennage and, while waiting for the wing kit to arrive, I was wondering what mods/options there are that can be done during the wing kit build.

I've seen the other threads on here that list everything but I thought it would be useful to have a thread that contains the mods that are best/easily done during the build process for the specific kit.
This thread might help myself and others who might otherwise miss out on something because they didn't know about it at build time.

If this thread looks useful I will add threads for the other kits.

I will update this post to add the options/mods mentioned as they come in to provide a summery of what is mentioned.

Wing options in this thread(post) and other thread links (thread)

• RV-12 Wing Plans addendum & hints by Joe Gores Another thread with lots of tips. Thread is on older plans so some tips may no longer be valid but still a worth a read(Thread)
  • Allan bolts to make stall adjustment easier Post

So what options/changes have you made to your wings that can be done during building?

Last edited:
Make provisions for pulling in tubing for AOA (& airspeed), perhaps extra plastic bushings or whatever. Or just install tube in the left wing to the wing bay where the stall vane switch is located.

I'd not thought about that one myself (given the pitot is in the spinner). I guess it would be hard to do once the wings were finished, I think a string will be routed during build time just in case :D

AOA install

Hardest part was feeding the plastic tube from the ADHRS through the tunnel out to the wing root area - small area to get your hands into. (if you do it before the control system is installed, that would make it a breeze.) After inspection, feeding the tube the rest of the way into the wing is really easy. You have the access panel below the stall warning.

Use the 1/8 inch tubing in this thread.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=34040
Connect it to the ADAHRs, run it to the wing root (under your headset jacks) and stop.
It has no function, or weight for that matter.

That same kind of tubing can just be laid in the lightening holes in the wing from the root to the stall switch area. (Use a stick.) Should last there a bunch of years, or you could put it through the bushings as a plastic pull string. Again, don't connect it to anything, don't drill the hole for the needle valve or rivet.

After signoff, install the needle valve or rivet, connect that "plastic pull string" to it, bring the tubing under your headset jacks through the plate containing the wing light sockets, add the plastic quick connect, and tell the Skyview it has AOA now.

The only difficult thing if you totally wait is adding the bit from the ADAHRS to the wing root, because you have to get back there. The part in the wing is no problem do do anytime.

The 1/8 tubing works just fine and it is tough. You don't need the big size tubing like on the pitot.

I, too, found Joe's hints to be very useful during my build (Thanks Joe!). However, builders of newer kits should be aware that many of Joe's hints apply to early serial number kits and may not exactly apply to newer serial number kits.

Allen socket screws for stall warning switch

I?m building E-AB and one of the wing modifications I made was replacing the two Philips screws used for mounting/adjusting the stall warning micro switch assembly with 9/64? Allen socket head screws. I feel it will be much better for making the adjustments when the hand is in such cramped quarters without the worry of stripping Philips screws.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-sYgj3lR0dio/UO98lsmDWVI/AAAAAAAADXM/luaYeH4Hcis/s1600/DSC03479.JPG

Happy building,

Back