What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

control stick extension for children?

prkaye

Well Known Member
I want to give my 6 year old girl some stick time. Her arms aren't long enough to reach the stick without leaning forward. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas how to rig up some sort of extension to bring the stick grip aft?

just a quick and dirty drawing.

IMAGE_68.jpeg

Just make sure that any extensions don't interfere with FULL travel of the stick in all directions...........

What about a "booster seat" or something to scoot her forward and up? Like a thick seat and seatback cushion?

Yeah, I've modified a booster seat by cutting out for the control stick, but still can't get her far enough forward without interfering with the stick. A stick that first curves forward to clear the booster, then up, and then aft over the booster seat would be perfect. I never thought of using PVC... I'll play around and see if I can rig something up.

Just make sure that any extensions don't interfere with FULL travel of the stick in all directions...........

That would be my concern, loosing aft travel if you found yourself in an emergency landing. Perhaps not attach it as ridgidly as hose clamps would (velcro?), or drill a decent size hole near the stick so you could jut break it off in an instant if you needed.

To avoid interference:

Just invert the U. Either make an omega shape coming out of the T fitting, or make a parallel type clamp for a plain inverted U. Google 'whitman tailwind control stick' for reference, then envision turning one side of the assembly 90 degrees.

Charlie

Back