What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric trim info needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

pylotttt

I have an RV-6a that was built in 2005. It has electric trim for both ailerons and elevator.
I am in the process of updating my panel to Dynon and have installed 2 axis autopilot. I need to get the trim commands to the AP controller and don't have a schematic.
Looking at the Vans page I see they sell a conversion kit for manual to electrical conversions but I can't find the schematic or pictures of the units.

I have the following-
Ray Allen Analog indicators
G207 Stick Grip with PTT as switch 5
The switches from the stick go down to what looks like an interface with 3 DB9 connectors. There is a terminal strip that has the wires from the stick switches.
The left connector is for elevator, the right is for aileron and middle goes to the panel.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pylotttt/albums/72157717217433273/with/50872776717/

I'm not sure if it is just an interface or if this is the ES MSTS-SRD Servo relay deck that is called for in the upgrade kits.
If this is just the interface where do people hide the servo relay decks? In the wing and elevator?

At the panel there is a 10 pin connector that has power and ground as well as wires that feed the indicators. I need to ohm it out but it probably also has the line for PTT.
I need to run the signals from the switches up to the autopilot panel then back to the servos.
Any feedback you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

This is the last thing I need to get straightened out before installing the panel. Then the fun begins by trying to figure out which pins I inserted in the wrong hole.

Last edited:
Rob

Who ever built the plane has done a neat installation and given the detail probably had a wiring diagram. If possible see if there is any documentation that they’ve made.
Ray Allen servos need 5 wires. See there website for the details. So looking at it the plugs for aileron and elevator both have 5 wires as expected.
If there’s only one rocker switch on the stick then there is unlikely to be a relay.
The panel plug will most likely have the 10 wires from both servos but + -ve wires might be combined plus your ptt wires.
A quick check with a tester should reveal.
If necessary work backwards from the servo or indicators as these wires are colour coded.

Regards

Peter

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back