What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6/7/9 seat adjuster failure

Luke D

Well Known Member
Advertiser
We got an email from a customer with the following picture of a seat adjuster that failed. Judging by the way the failure occured, I wonder if one side was not fully engaged in the slot. There are literally thousands of these out there, but this is the first time I've heard of an issue like this. Has anyone seen this before?

Note: The adjuster pictured was one made by us for our Aviator seats. We had to make a version of the adjuster that is 1" narrower to account for the rounded corners on our frame. Otherwise, it is identical to a stock adjuster, and mounted at the same height up from the floor.

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_0878.jpg
    IMG_0878.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 228
Or not engaged at all...just left flapping down and got crushed by the canopy latch torque tube (if the airplane was a tip up..)

Exactly the same thing happened to me. Ask the customer if he has a "almost a 14" kit from AntiSplat installed. The seatback retainers on the "14" kit are too short.

Or not engaged at all...just left flapping down and got crushed by the canopy latch torque tube (if the airplane was a tip up..)

I could see that happening, but in this case he said it happened during runup.

Exactly the same thing happened to me. Ask the customer if he has a "almost a 14" kit from AntiSplat installed. The seatback retainers on the "14" kit are too short.

Good info. I'll ask.

Thanks guys.

I am the customer that sent the email. I do have the "Almost a 14" mod installed. I will check out the retainers tomorrow and report back with photos. I already fabricated a replacement adjuster out of .063 instead of .032. I really can't see that one failing, but, I intend on cutting a pair of them out of 20 or 22 gauge 304 stainless. Here is another photo of the part from a different angle. In it's defense, I was trying to hold the plane at full power to collect some data from my SDS EFI and it was being drug across the ground. So I was pushing on the brakes reeeeeeaaaaalllly hard.

Attachments

• IMG_0877.jpg
    IMG_0877.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Done there, been that

Yup, happened here, too. 9A slider w/AA14 kit. Made new adjuster and slightly longer retainer. EZ, no problem since.

Same thing happened to me...also have an AA14 kit. Actually, both seats bent. The pilot seat adjuster has been de-installed and pounded out more-or-less flat on three different occasions but it keeps bending.

I bought some 1/8th inch 6061 aluminum sheet stock, cut it to the same size as the OEM flapper thing, cut four 1.5 inch lightening holes in it, and riveted on a a hinge strip that I ordered from Van's. It works great, and THAT thing ain't gonna bend anytime soon. In retrospect, I could have used 3/32 aluminum plate and it would have worked just fine. I then eliminated the underlying problem by zip-tying the plate through the lightening holes around the AeroSplat support bar so that it can't disengage.

Attachments

• brace.jpg
    brace.jpg
    428.3 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
I am the customer that sent the email. I do have the "Almost a 14" mod installed. I will check out the retainers tomorrow and report back with photos. I already fabricated a replacement adjuster out of .063 instead of .032. I really can't see that one failing, but, I intend on cutting a pair of them out of 20 or 22 gauge 304 stainless. Here is another photo of the part from a different angle. In it's defense, I was trying to hold the plane at full power to collect some data from my SDS EFI and it was being drug across the ground. So I was pushing on the brakes reeeeeeaaaaalllly hard.

Hey Jake,

I don't know if you got my email, but I'll send you the file you wanted on Friday.

Hey Luke, Yes, I did see your email. Thanks, but I really don't need the file, I sent that request right after I taxied back in. After that I realized that I could draw it myself in about 3 minutes. I already made and installed a replacement made out of thicker aluminum. After reading the replies here I think I am going to replace the retainer across the bar of the AA14 with one that goes full length and make 2 new adjusters all out of 16ga stainless. If that bends, the whole plane must have bent...I haven't looked at my retainer yet, but I can see in my picture that there are marks on the adjuster from the retainer that do not go the full length. Not your fault. For the record I was not pointing fingers either, I simply wanted the CAD file so I could make another one. I couldn't happier with the interior you guys made, it looks and feels fantastic.

Hey Luke, Yes, I did see your email. Thanks, but I really don't need the file, I sent that request right after I taxied back in. After that I realized that I could draw it myself in about 3 minutes. I already made and installed a replacement made out of thicker aluminum. After reading the replies here I think I am going to replace the retainer across the bar of the AA14 with one that goes full length and make 2 new adjusters all out of 16ga stainless. If that bends, the whole plane must have bent...I haven't looked at my retainer yet, but I can see in my picture that there are marks on the adjuster from the retainer that do not go the full length. Not your fault. For the record I was not pointing fingers either, I simply wanted the CAD file so I could make another one. I couldn't happier with the interior you guys made, it looks and feels fantastic.

Sounds good. Glad you already figured out a solution. Let us know if you need anything else.

Yes

I have had the same problem with my -14. I pushed back too hard to look over my shoulder while pulling a few G’s.

Here is a photo taken this morning showing the retainers engagement to the adjuster. Clearly it needs to be longer. I intend on bring this to the attention of the AntiSplatAero people.

Attachments

• IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 169

What hgerhardt said. Mine is doing the same thing with the Almost -14 mod. I plan to add a stiffener on the bottom side.

When my seat adjuster folded up with my 'Almost -14', that also caused the retainer on the crossbar to get bent. Had to drill out the rivets and straighten that. In hindsight, should have made longer retainers which would have made it possible to use the original lightweight seat adjusters instead of going to .063.

I have not sat in a plane with an “almost a 14” mod, but I have seen the pics and read the install instructions. By the looks of the pic below, the seat looks to be located in the stock location when the back brace is in place. So, my question is if you are going to use the brace, why install the mod in the first place?

I am not criticizing, just wondering.

Attachments

• C49644D5-26D2-4031-A235-A034336954A7.jpeg
    C49644D5-26D2-4031-A235-A034336954A7.jpeg
    248.3 KB · Views: 116

I think you should skip "leg day" at the gym :)

.063" might not fit under the rear attachment; .032" should be sufficient, however the A14 mod attach channels need to capture the entire width of the back brace.

I think you should skip "leg day" at the gym :)

.063" might not fit under the rear attachment; .032" should be sufficient, however the A14 mod attach channels need to capture the entire width of the back brace.

I made my replacement plate out of 1/8th inch aluminum (0.125 in) and it fits under the rear attachment just fine. I did taper that edge of the brace a bit using the belt sander.

It's true that entering and exiting the plane can be one thing that puts a lot of force on that plate if you find yourself pushing against the carpet with your feet on the floor or the gear leg bolt. You don't have a good angle to use the handle on the roll bar so all your exiting force is initially backwards against the seat back. I put in an AntiSplat Easy Exit bar and it made a HUGE difference. I can get in and out with even touching the seat back.

Problem Solved!!

.... We were made aware of this potential problem long ago and corrected all
production runs of "The Almost a 14 Seat mod" after the first run of 200 units.
All production runs and all current units being sold have the longer receiver
brackets, as seen in the photo below. We sent E-Mail to most of the customers
who purchased the mods with short receivers, but apparently we failed and missed
a few. At any rate, the potential issue has been addressed, and we have the parts
in stock for anyone in need. Just give us a call or an E-mail and we can get them
to you. These are very easy to install, as the hole centers are exactly the same
as the shorter brackets, and only require drilling two more holes. We are very
sorry for any and all inconvenience this may have caused, and hope this post
will help. Thanks to all, Allan:eek:.:D
image hosting services

The forward position is preferred for takeoff and landings, the aft position is way more comfortable in cruise.

Because sometimes a taller person is in the plane.

.... A couple of reasons! Some aircraft are flown by multiple pilots of different stature.
Sometimes the passenger and pilot don't require the same seating distance. Also
if one seat is forward of the other, it offsets your shoulders and provides much more
shoulder room for each person. And lets not forget, it really helps us! Thanks, Allan...:rolleyes:

I made my replacement plate out of 1/8th inch aluminum (0.125 in) and it fits under the rear attachment just fine. I did taper that edge of the brace a bit using the belt sander.

It's true that entering and exiting the plane can be one thing that puts a lot of force on that plate if you find yourself pushing against the carpet with your feet on the floor or the gear leg bolt. You don't have a good angle to use the handle on the roll bar so all your exiting force is initially backwards against the seat back. I put in an AntiSplat Easy Exit bar and it made a HUGE difference. I can get in and out with even touching the seat back.

Your roll bar has handles?? I have the easy exit bar, but no handles.

I have not sat in a plane with an “almost a 14” mod, but I have seen the pics and read the install instructions. By the looks of the pic below, the seat looks to be located in the stock location when the back brace is in place. So, my question is if you are going to use the brace, why install the mod in the first place?

I am not criticizing, just wondering.

My instructor is 5' 5" and my son is 6' 5".

Your roll bar has handles?? I have the easy exit bar, but no handles.

I have a grab handle on the roll bar above each seat. To get out, I put my feet on the EE bar, grab the handle with my right hand, left hand on the canopy sill, push with my feet. When I'm up, feet on seat and stand up. My back never even touches the seat back. Getting in is a reverse of that process.

Note also that the stock -14 adjusters have side supports which keep them from sliding if substantial sideways force is applied (like when getting in).

Untitled.jpg

I'll polish them up at some point. I guess I need to contact AntiSplat and get a new flange. Anyway, this works pretty well for me.

In the attached images...the image on the left is the grab handles on my canopy roll bar. Regarding the attached image on the right, the hinged flip-up brace on the left seat is 0.125 aluminum. I've cut and drilled the same thing for the right seat but haven't riveted the hinge on yet. I'm working on something more elegant other than zip ties, but they are effective. I also need to finish sanding then and painting them up a little.

Attachments

• handhold.jpg
    handhold.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_8333.jpg
    IMG_8333.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Interesting that the mod seems to use just a piece of flat stock with a slight bend in it, instead of the stacked material used in the original arrangement. This means your seat back flange is always trying to wedge itself deeper into the "vee" at the back of the slot, always torquing on the rivets holding it in place.

I'd remove the too-short piece, and replace it with two flat pieces. One the thickness of the seat-back flange, and the other on top of it. Make them both long enough to capture the entire seat-back flange as well. Then most of the loading on the rivets will be in shear, the way they are intended to be loaded.

Back