What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

replacing pin on D-SUB harness

prkaye

Well Known Member
I was taking my panel apart today to do some work, and in the process of removing the Dynon D-180, one of the female pins pulled out of the EMS 37-pin D-Sub female harness (the +5V Excitation pin). How difficult is it to replace individual pins in these female D-SUB connectors? What is the procedure and what special tool(s) do I need?

Last edited:
Look on the SteinAir website for a D-sub pin extractor and the crimping tool.

There are two types of pin; the hollow barrel type (best) that use the 4-jaw crimper or the molex type open barrel, which use a different crimper.

Stein has some good videos to guide you through the process.

Phil
Did the wire actually break? Or did the pin with wire attached simply pull out of the D-sub shell?

If the pin and wire are still in good condition, maybe it was never fully seated in the shell. Push it back in until it ' clicks ' and won't come back out with a light to medium tug.

The pin (with wire attached) pulled out of the connector? If so just release the shell and/or clamp bars and reinsert it. Make sure it is in the right position! (Oops, Bill covered this!)

They are relatively easy to insert (click) and remove with the tool. Usually insertion does not need the tool.

I just had a wire break out of the terminal ( pin) and had to remove a high density pin - that made it a little short relative to the other wires, so I took a 2" wire of same AWG crimped the pin on it, and with 1/4" over lap soldered (solder sleeve) to the original wire and looped it to nest the wires back under the clamp bar.

Stein only uses the machined barrel style pins, they are the best.

Last edited:
The pin pulled out with the wire attached. Unfortunately, the wire then got accidentally cut and is lost. So I need to get/install a new pin, and connect a new wire to it.

In that case, if the tools are not locally available from another builder, and you don't want to buy the tools, have stein make a couple of leads for you and splice one in like BillL said.

What is on the opposite end?
I'd be happy to fab up a wire with whatever D-sub you need if you tell me the length and what is needed at each end and as long as I have the stuff on hand, and I most likely do.
Buy the pin removers though, you'll use them over and over. Get the 3 sizes of Molex pin removers while you're at it.
Tim Andres

Back