- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you use the IFR capability of your RV?
YES (file IFR) 236 72.84%
NO 88 27.16%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxuser
Example of simple IFR:

I like it - clean, simple. Close to what I was thinking of if I were to pick up a -4 and equip it for occasional IFR (IFR in a -4 was not exactly what Van had in mind, but it would work).

However, it looks to be about $12k over a glass panel VFR setup (single AFS3400 EFIS+EMS, G396, SL40). Thus I want to be sure I want to fly IFR...

TODR
Old 08-28-2007, 03:32 AM

That setup is actually more money than that (GNS480, Sorcorer autopilot, EFIS+EMS)

The EFIS is optional, but makes the install cleaner. The real simple IFR maker is the GNS480 and some 2 axis autopilot. More money than a SL40, but I wouldn't consider flying an airplane that has NO vor for even vfr night operations, so a $2000 more SL30 would be a requirement for me plus the $1000 CDI. The EFIS incorporates the CDI, the GNS480 is effectively 2 comms 2 navs, single GPS (WAAS), and controls the transponder remotely.

Backup instruments optional, choose whichever efis you like (Dynon being the econmical choice I think). I like Blue Mountain stuff myself, but when I'm at Osh next year I'll look at all of them closer. Dollar for dollar, I don't think the EFIS would cost much more than comparable electric gyros...
Old 08-28-2007, 06:56 AM

Default IFR rating

Axel,

I have the rating but no airplane capable of IFR. It is a lot of work to keep current. I think if I had built my 8 with the equipment I would use it.
Jay Pratt VAF #2
RV Central - Builder Assistance
Paul Revere, Borrowed Horse, & Shooter
Old 08-28-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxuser
The EFIS is optional, but makes the install cleaner. The real simple IFR maker is the GNS480 and some 2 axis autopilot. ...

Backup instruments optional, choose whichever efis you like (Dynon being the econmical choice I think). I like Blue Mountain stuff myself, but when I'm at Osh next year I'll look at all of them closer. Dollar for dollar, I don't think the EFIS would cost much more than comparable electric gyros...
I agree - EFIS is cleaner, simpler install, has a built-in backup battery and is cheaper when you factor in a CDI (plus you get a HSI).

I was planning on a 2-axis AP for IFR use - I can't imagine flying IFR without it. I'm not sure how useful it is having it coupled to the NAV / GPS for flying approaches or holds, but it at least sounds cool.

TODR
Old 08-28-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmike
I fly my 6A Ifr in in socal mostly to get over or under the marine layer. I have done hard IfR several times but without an autopilot or someone in the right seat to work the radios is tough. Steam gauges with a SL30 & SL60 & map 360.

Mike
This is a good follow-up question: for those of you flying IFR in a 3, 4, 6, 7, or 8: are you doing it with an autopilot? Would you do it without an autopilot? I exclude the 9 and 10 from that question simply because I assume, perhaps naively, that they are somewhat more stable as an IFR platform.

RV-6 N466PG Purchased already flying - SOLD!

The Book: The PapaGolf Chronicles

Built RV-12
http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com

The Book: Schmetterling Aviation

The above web blogs and any links provided thereto are not instructional or advisory in nature. They merely seek to share my experiences in building and flying Van's RV airplanes.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:11 PM

i owned and flew a lancair legacy for 2 years. i had a garmin 430/sl30 combo coupled to a trutrack autopilot. throw in a 396 for weather and 6-pack backup and you are set. i would be very careful to backup these experimental EFIS's. the low-cost AHARS they are using have been known to be troublesome at times so having a good standard ADI/Airspeed/Altitude combo is in my book a necessity until they are proven rock-solid (my experience - not to disparage any particular EFIS maker)
Old 08-29-2007, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Default Flying IFR without Autopilot

Before I had my RV-10 flying I flew an RV-6A for over 300 hours, the first 100 hours without a 2 axis autopilot. Although IFR equipted when I bought the RV-6A I would fly it IFR unless I had an IFR qualified pilot in the right seat because without an 2 axis autopilot it created way too much stress just doing IFR practice under the hood with a safety pilot.

After installing the 2 axis autopilot I flew the RV-6A IFR on a pretty regular (for me) basis. While I much prefer VFR flying in ether my RV-6A (sold) or my RV-10 (160+ hours) I wouldn't own an RV without a 2 axis autopilot.
N710RV - RV-10 Sold
N65RV - RV-6A Sold
N686RV - RV-6A Re-Built, Sold
N742PZ - RV-8 Co-Builder Sold
N-867RV -RV-7 Finish Kit
Old 08-29-2007, 10:35 AM

I am a 9A driver. Although 9 is a more stable IFR platform I still prefer to have my AP on while flying IFR. As a matter of fact I use AP for my VFR cross country too. I don't have a stady hand. Whenever I check the approach plate, tune the radio, etc., I have a tendency of moving the stick. In the past year I had about 4 hours in IMC and did 18 approaches, most of them with AP on. It is just too stressful without a co-pilot/AP.
Ted Chang, VAF #681
RV-9A #91048, flying since 8/2006. 2,050 hrs.

2018 Due paid
Old 11-10-2007, 11:13 PM

Our -6 is certified and my pops and I are both hold "current" IFR tickets, we do not fly the 6 in IFR too much..

I have filed and flown IFR on a cross country when I knew the weather was going to be decent at the destination, I would not blast off in this bird with a destination that was calling 2 miles vis, overcast at 500 or anything along those lines..

Now, if it was something like 5 miles vis, 1500' ceilings and no ice, etc, sure why not.. I haven't done that yet with it though..
Old 11-11-2007, 08:25 AM

Axel,
I built my 6-A IFR. After I finished it, I got my IFR ticket in it. Like folks have said, it IS a handfull. However, my only regret is not getting it (IFR Ticket) sooner. It really has made me a better pilot, and really helps you look at flying much differently.

Guess it depends on what you want to use the IFR RV for. Basically I use mine for light IFR. I have been IMC for while on a couple of occasions, but not that often. I don't do ice, heavy TS, or other marginal stuff. So far it has been a great thrill.

I did install a Tru-Trak A/P after I got the IFR ticket. It really has improved the safety factor and it's really great when you need to look at a plate or map.

Unless we are traveling with friends, I always file. Just helps me stay current, and I do like being in the system.

The thing is, I really don't have to use the RV IFR, but if I want to, I do have the option.

I would say go for it.
RV-7A Fuselage