- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:02 PM

Default OSH planning

For those in the know: If I fly in and camp with my plane, where could I park a rental car during my stay at Airventure where I could access it somewhat conveniently (I know that's a relative term) and park it overnight with minimal cost?
Old 01-14-2021, 10:54 PM

Default Rental car?

You really don't need a rental car if you fly and camp. You can usually get a ride or call an Uber. You will most likely not spend a lot of time off airport. If you do get a car there are parking lots just across the road from homebuilt camping, assuming your bringing an RV. If you fly in a production aircraft there are other options for car parking but may not be as accessible.
1085 hr
2WI6 Stoughton, WI
Formally of Lafayette, IN

Last edited by Frank Smidler : 01-14-2021 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:24 PM

Having been to Airventure 25 or so times, I'm aware of the daily parking lots, but had heard that overnight parking in those lots is not allowed. Nothing beats having access to a vehicle to get away from the hubbub at Wittman Field for a while. Oshkosh really is nice city and after getting a mile or two from the field, you wouldn't even know that there were so many people at the airport.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:50 AM

I second that you really donít need a card. The transportation is fantastic and quick. They even go to grocery stores and back check it out and have fun.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:15 AM

Default OSH planning? What about SnF

No car needed at either, easy to get to places and you'll have plenty to do right around you.
Web site: http://www.newtech.com/bobbyhester/RVSite.htm
Dec. 2020 VAF donator - alot better than any magazine subscription
Old 01-15-2021, 08:27 AM

Agree, no car needed (we were first timers in 2019).
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy
Old 01-15-2021, 08:27 AM

We normally have a rental car at OSH. My wife and two of the kids fly into Milwaukee and drive up. We park the 195 in showplane parking, near the ultra light area. Outside the ultra light entrance gate is a family that rents parking spaces (Waupan Rd and Knapp St intersection). I think itís $10-$15 per night. Itís very convenient and nice to go into town for something other than a burger.

There might be something similar near the experiment parking area. If not head down to the ultra light entrance.
2020 dues paid
Old 01-15-2021, 10:07 AM

I'd recommend Uber. Supports locals (in theory). Gotta be cheaper unless you're making 2, 3 trips a day. Super easy to meet them at the west side of home built camping, by the cellular antennas.

Houston
Old 01-15-2021, 11:06 AM

Exclamation OSH: being there...... and driving.....and MORE

Had it been held, this would have been my 33rd year of attending and volunteering at OSH. Alas, something interfered with that.

A car can be handy but not necessary. Uber and busses travel to town. There is also usually someone around you if you are camping who has a car and would be willing to take you into town. You can also walk to places like West End Pizza (perhaps the best in town) across the street from the Hilton, on the West side of the field. People will also go to town and pick things up for you.

I help run the Vintage area and, during a Chairman phone conference two days ago, AirVenture......aka OSH......is being planned as we speak. They are working on the many ways to keep everyone safe as we will still be plagued by this pandemic that is interfering with everything in our lives. It will not be the same as previous years as far as gatherings, forums, crowds for the airshow etc. but, so far, THE SHOW WILL GO ON! To wit: It will be very helpful for you and everyone around you to GET YOUR VACCINE when you are eligible to receive it. They are planning on people attending will mostly be vaccinated. And will be helpful to keep you from possibly getting

I will post an update as I find out more...........
Old 01-15-2021, 12:02 PM

Default Thank you

Thank you for the update. very informative.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
Tail 98% done
Wings 98% done
Fuselage Kit 98% done
Finishing Kit 35% canopy done for now
Electrical 65% in work
Firewall Forward 5% in work
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com