What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Damaged Rudder

fredycompean

I'm New Here
Hi Guys!

First time posting here!

Please view the photos of damage to the rudder on my RV7A, due to strong winds during overnight stay on the ramp. Control lock failing to stay in place, and the result is punctured holes and bent/cracked trailing edge.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xkL2E8Br83r6UCMc9

I have flown about 11hrs since with out any flutter or concern, but I have been advised that it could be dangerous and I should get an entirely new rudder.

Appreciate your comments on:

1. Should repair or replace.
2. Can I fly another 4hrs to repair shop or ground the plane.

Thanks in advance

Fredy

Last edited:
Based on the indications that the elevator appears to have also been free to slam to it's limits with unknown force, I would very closely inspect the entire pitch control system from the stick pivots right through to the elevator bolts. It also appears that the trim tab on the left elevator got a very non typical work out ( punching holes in the rudder with the inertia and force of the elevator rotating in different positions at un known speeds), so I would look closely at the servo rod yokes , pins and lock pins to make that is not ready to let go.

I expect a flood of responses to make a new rudder.

Last edited:
I would reskin it. I reskinned my rv8 rudder and it wasn't a big job. The skin only was about a quarter of a rudder kit cost wise and it was faster as I didn't have to refit the fairings and such.

You can probably find an abandoned tail kit with a complete rudder otherwise. I have a completed rv8 empennage kit that I would sell the rudder out of if it would work. (Not sue if 7 and 8 are the same.)

Rudder

Personally I would at least replace the skin. But then agin it would most likely have underlying damage to the ribs. And it would probably be faster to just replace the hole rudder. I would think you would be ok to fly it to a facility were it could be repaired, or replaced. Just slow to maneuvering speed. As it is kind of dangerous, not knowing the full extent of damage. Unless you can see the inside of the rudder.

Hope this helps
RD

I would reskin it. I reskinned my rv8 rudder and it wasn't a big job. The skin only was about a quarter of a rudder kit cost wise and it was faster as I didn't have to refit the fairings and such.

You can probably find an abandoned tail kit with a complete rudder otherwise. I have a completed rv8 empennage kit that I would sell the rudder out of if it would work. (Not sue if 7 and 8 are the same.)

Not interchangeable.. the -7 rudder has the riveted trailing edge, and the counterweight is a different shape. (As you know, the -8 has the bent style trailing edge)

I’m interested in where that clunking noise is coming from in his video?

Last edited:
Mine was damaged in the similar way but not nearly as bad. I am trying to imagine why the trailing edge is damaged so badly and I don’t see any pix of elevator or trim tab.

One area that I recommend to take a close look is the hinge bracket attachment points, especially the bottom hinge both on the rudder and VS. If/when rudder slams back and forth and comes to a sudden stop by the rudder stops, it puts fair amount of force on those brackets. I would certainly rebuild another one if it was mine (I did and it was not too much work or money) and I would certainly build a whole new one unless there is no damage at all to the hinge attachment points.

sorry to see this happens.

Rudder

Build a new rudder! Van's has "just Rudder" kits available... Please check to see if the rudder max movement stops are damaged as that's the only way an elevator can come in contact with the rudder....

Rudder

I have a large 7a rudder that has not been riveted up that if you are interested?
Leave me a message and I can send you a picture.

Me too. It is on the cables, not the actual rudder hinges. I have pulled the cable on the right side of the plane with my fingers and then moved the rudder to full extent, and there is no sound. I will check all the rudder system from the control stick down.

Thanks for noticing.

Fredy

Build a new rudder! Van's has "just Rudder" kits available... Please check to see if the rudder max movement stops are damaged as that's the only way an elevator can come in contact with the rudder....

This sounds of interest. Does anyone here know somebody that would build it for me, as I have never build, nor have any tools?

Thank you

Fredy

There are plenty of finished tail kits out there that will never end up on a finished airplane. Put out the word that you want to buy a finished rudder and you are back in the air quick.

Inspection

Freddy

Please get an experienced RV builder or aircraft technician to do a detailed inspection before you fly again. Checking the whole tail including, rudder stops, hinge bearings elevators etc

I rebuilt my rudder after a hanger rash incident. In the meantime I borrowed a rudder off a friend who was still only 1/2 way through their build.
I brought all the parts from Vans and started a new rudder. Less than a week later was good to go.
This maybe a good opportunity to meet the local home building community and gain valuable knowledge about your aircraft.

Regards

Peter

Correction

Not interchangeable.. the -7 rudder has the riveted trailing edge, and the counterweight is a different shape. (As you know, the -8 has the bent style trailing edge)

The first rudder issued for the 7 was identical to the last 6 and 8. The 7 (short) had the .020 skin. The tall 7 rudder came from the 9.

All will fit but the short one (6-8, early 7) needs the VS glass tip to match. Finally, the actual hardware change is the rudder stops are different for the short and tall rudders.

Now, the OP does not need to know any of this, it's just too keep the record straight.

What brand of tail light is that? It appears to have a lot of mass, given the deformation due to inertia along the bottom edge of the skins.

To be blunt, excess mass at the trailing edge of the zipper rudder is not good for flutter resistance, and as it relates to torsional stiffness, this is the worst location for the mass, at the far opposite corner from the balance weight.

Last edited:
Looks like the AeroLED SunTail. That's what Van's is supplying as an optional tail light. At least on my -14A.

What brand of tail light is that? It appears to have a lot of mass, given the deformation due to inertia along the bottom edge of the skins.

To be blunt, excess mass at the trailing edge of the zipper rudder is not good for flutter resistance, and as it relates to torsional stiffness, this is the worst location for the mass, at the far opposite corner from the balance weight.

I think the balance weight is the actual culprit in this scenario. Rudder slaps against it's stop, but nearly 4 ft up the rudder, the balance weight mass momentum can only be absorbed as a twisting moment in the structure.
The rudder isn't actually a closed structure, the trailing edge wedge isn't actually attached to the rib/spar/rib structure other than by the 2 side skins, and it's about 2" of unsupported skin (distance between trailing wedge rivet and last rib rivet) is the only thing left to absorb the structural twisting moment, thus the bulging.
I don't think the lamp is contributing to the damage in this case.

Looks like the AeroLED SunTail. That's what Van's is supplying as an optional tail light. At least on my -14A.

Ok, I guess it just looked big in the photos. The AeroLED spec sheet says 2.6 oz, about the same as any other tail light assembly.

Freddy

Please get an experienced RV builder or aircraft technician to do a detailed inspection before you fly again. Checking the whole tail including, rudder stops, hinge bearings elevators etc

I rebuilt my rudder after a hanger rash incident. In the meantime I borrowed a rudder off a friend who was still only 1/2 way through their build.
I brought all the parts from Vans and started a new rudder. Less than a week later was good to go.
This maybe a good opportunity to meet the local home building community and gain valuable knowledge about your aircraft.

Regards

Peter

I did send the photos and video to Randy Richmond near FortWorth in 52F. I believe he works exclusively on RVs. Tomorrow I am flying over to him for inspection and replacement.
Yes I appreciate meeting people in this great community. Thanks

Fredy

Back