- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-11-2021, 08:10 PM

Default RV-7 and RV-8 on Ice

A beautiful Sunday for Flying in the Northeast.
28 degrees, calm wind, clear skies, and perfect ice conditions on the lake.
A couple of RV's decided to fly north to meet the Cub Gang for lunch.
Even got to give a few cub guys their first RV rides.
A few pictures and a takeoff video from a great day of RV'ing

https://youtu.be/L_tUhM8kouA

RV6 #20477 completed 1991 sold.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 350+ hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600 QUICK Panel.
Manual Flaps. (KOXC)Oxford, CT, (0NY0)North Creek, NY.
1941 J3 Cub skis,floats.
2020 dues gladly paid.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:15 PM

That looks more like snow than ice? I imagine that snow offers just a little bit more traction than ice?

I am really curious how you learn to do this. It is easy enough to maintain directional control?
Or do you just not worry about it because there is no harm done if you 'ice-loop' and/or do doughnuts anywhere you want?
Is there enough rolling resistance to stop more or less when/where you want?
How do you do a run-up?

Oh, and most important of all, how do you know when the ice is thick enough that you won't break through if you come down a little hard?

Most of us west-coasters just have no clue about this. I do have some back-country flying friends that go up to some of the smaller lakes around Lake Tahoe and do this.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet" Flying since Sept. 2009
Hobbs 635
LS6-15/18W sailplane SOLD
bought my old LS6-A back!!
VAF donation Dec 2020
Old 01-11-2021, 08:42 PM

Default Looks like fun !!

Iíve been flying out of the snow lately to , not enough here to put the J3 on skis yet though , Iím a wee bit concerned that you still have your wheel pants on for winter Opps, I was flying off a snow covered runway A few years ago in my C 150 and the next time I landed at my paved field in a good crosswind my brake disks were frozen solid and the locked up brakes just skidded me off the runway, just missing one of the runway lights ,
Two things i keep in mind now is make sure I let the brakes cool right off after taxiing to the active on snow covered runways ( even if I havenít used them ) and keep the wheel pants in the hanger in case you do have one freeze because you canít unlock that tire until you kick it free,
Looks like you had a great visibility for your Rendezvous on the ice!
Grounds keeper @ CKS9, 2020 dues gladly pd
Old 01-11-2021, 11:31 PM

Thumbs up

Raquette Lake what a place! Landed there several times. Been to Tap Room and boat restaurant good entertainment. Thanks for the excursion.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:49 PM

So the cub's needed skis and the RV's didn't...............

Old 01-12-2021, 07:43 AM

The ice on Sunday was about 8" thick with a 1" covering of frozen granular snow, perfect for wheel operations, temps in mid 20's..The Cub guys were running a mix of straight skis, wheel penetration and retractable skis. They could have easilly landed on wheels, but skis provide more options. Yes you must be conscious of snow packing in the wheel pants, beware of ice fishing holes, buoys and of course snowmobiles. I am running 380X150 tires on my -7, the -8 has standard 500X5 tires. Hopefully the Alton Bay, NH ice runway will open soon, they will not plow until they have 12" of ice. Great place to get an intro into ice flying! Come on up and join the fun.
RV6 #20477 completed 1991 sold.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 350+ hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600 QUICK Panel.
Manual Flaps. (KOXC)Oxford, CT, (0NY0)North Creek, NY.
1941 J3 Cub skis,floats.
2020 dues gladly paid.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:02 AM

What airport is this? Can you reply here or PM next time you go? Iím 1.5 flight away (I think) and would love to join you!

"Poise under pressure is the single most valuable thing you can have as a pilot. Make mistakes, take corrective action as quickly and calmly as possible and press on."
Old 01-12-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsmith View Post

I am really curious how you learn to do this. It is easy enough to maintain directional control?
Or do you just not worry about it because there is no harm done if you 'ice-loop' and/or do doughnuts anywhere you want?
Is there enough rolling resistance to stop more or less when/where you want?
How do you do a run-up?

this.
It isn't really something you go somewhere to learn. You just sort of do it. Generally I only land where cars have recently driven. Do a low pass and check for ruts and ice ridges. Watch for wires also. Racetracks are perfect because usually they are smooth and thick enough. Assume you will have zero directional control when you land and fly it all the way until it's stopped. Be prepared to go around at any time, even during rollout, and be wary of crosswinds. Snow has good traction, rough ice is ok to. Smooth ice or light fluffy snow over ice is a challenge. Be prepared to get out and physically turn the plane around. Finally, don't underestimate how rough even smooth ice can be. Like the bush guys, a tail low wheel landing is in order.
Old 01-12-2021, 01:01 PM

Default RV-7 on ice

I agree with Gary..Winter S.O.P. here in SW Ontario is to remove the wheel pants. Snow can accumulate ( and has) in the rear portion of wheel pants even with just a skim coat of snow on taxi ways and runways. Any brake heat can melt the snow and in the minus C temps we fly in, brakes can freeze and landings become rides of terror especially if one wheel freeze and the other doesnít.
In my mind, better to lose a few knots of air speed with exposed wheels than damage the plane and possibly yourself and/or your passenger.
Dave
RV-7
C-GCPD
Old 01-12-2021, 01:03 PM

Great pictures and video! Thanks for posting them Jake.
Sedona, AZ