What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bendix Mag overhaul

cholladay

Well Known Member
Our place in San Antonio shut down. Looking for suggestions on places to send my Bendix Mags for overhaul. Thanks in advance Chad

Not sure what overhaul costs are currently but I bet for not to much more money you can get an electronic ignition. It's pretty hard to justify mags anymore.

Found these guys online anyone used them?

Aircraft Magneto Service
3995 Flying Lane #5-5
Stevensville, MT 59870

Aircraft Magneto Service

I highly recommend this business.
The are very knowledgeable, professional & fair.
Call Don at 406.five forty three.0695
You won’t regret it.

A friend of mine bought Bendix mags, and wires for his Luscombe from Aircraft Magneto Service. Months after the Bendix warranty expired he had the impulse coupling fail. He contacted them and was told since the mags came through their shop they were covered under their extended warranty. They promptly repaired the mag at no cost to him AND paid the return shipping!

Aircraft Magneto Service

Found these guys online anyone used them?

Aircraft Magneto Service
3995 Flying Lane #5-5
Stevensville, MT 59870

Yep, I have had 6 mags done, both 500hr inspections as well as rebuild. My IA and two others I know uses them exclusively and have never had any issues.
Price was always the going rate and a time or two less than quoted.
This father son team use to be at Boeing Field in Seattle for years and have a great reputation.

Chad
Just got some Bendix mags back from the shop for their 500 hr inspection/OH.

Done by:
www.aircraftignitionservices.com
in Honey Grove, TX which is NE of Dallas. Very nice folks to work with.

They did a great job and the mags looked and worked like new.

Bendix mags

The Montana folks will send you back a good mag. If the mag has been to a shop for an IRAN recently or is a relatively new mag, an IRAN is likely worth it. If it has old parts, it gets expensive and other options become more attractive. I was looking at $850 and went with a Surefly instead. If you give the AMS folks the numbers off the nameplate, they often can tell you ballpark cost over the phone.

Kelly Aerospace

I recently used Kelly Aerospace in Montgomery, AL at the recommendation of the A&P who supervised my condition inspection.

They were up front on pricing and saved me money over a complete replacement even though there was little salvagable other than the drive shaft and gear. I opted for a new harness since the wires were showing some wear at 17 years old, so that ended up costing a little extra.

Update: I sent my mags off to Aircraft Magneto Service in MT and Hands down they provided me with the best service I have ever experienced dealing with any business. I had a dead mag after I got them back which turned out to be and install problem on my end. They took them back and checked them out the same day they got them and returned the mags second day air for no charge. These guys are the place you should send your mags with out question.
Aircraft Magneto Service
3995 Flying Lane #5-5
Stevensville, MT 59870

aircraft magneto

Sent them ten mags last year. I don't look anywhere else, as I know I will be happy with the result from Aircraft Magneto Service

Back