What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel pump modification (Lycoming)

kjelle69

The builder of my RV-4 modified the fuel pump by turning the section that contains the overflow pipe 120 degrees. (See attached image) The space between the pump overflow outlet and the firewall as is you know very tight on a RV-4.

The image shows the original outlet position in "A" and the outlet position in my pump which is at "B".

I am going through the engine right now and was thinking of getting a new fuel pump. What to you think of this modification in order to make it fit or should one go with the alternative elbow modification instead?

Attachments

• FuelPump.jpg
    FuelPump.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 100
I won't say you can't do it, but be aware that simply rotating the ring with the leakage tell-tale port (it's not an "overflow") would close off an internal vent. I suppose the ring could be machined with a new vent location.

See the photos. The internal vent connects a chamber in the base plate with the ring chamber, and thus to the atmosphere via the tell-tale port. I have not attempted to determine the purpose of the base plate diaphragm or the vent...but they are there.
-

Attachments

• Vent.jpg
    Vent.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Vent Ring.jpg
    Vent Ring.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 103
Back