-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:18 AM

Axel, you are doing beautiful work. You Sir, are going to have one super fine -4 when you're through. I want to see it up close!!

Cheers,
Old 03-27-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX-O View Post
The pilot pockets were designed to hold charts and standard size paper. The co pilot ones were designed to hold one gossip magazine. There will be an additional pocket on the back of the pilot seat to hold an ipad.
Why don't you want the gossip mags up front with you? Maybe she'll read them to you though..

You're doing a great job there. Hurry up!!!

VAF #818
Saint Simons Island, GA. KSSI
PIF 2007 - 2022

I just wish I could afford to live the way I do
Old 07-02-2013, 08:43 PM

I have not been able to work on the plane for over a month. I hurt my back. Below is some of the work I did before I hurt myself. I will cut the hole for the aft control stick once the controls a connected. I also had to extend the baggage compartment a few inches due to the fastback.

VAF 2022 paid VAF 704
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weigh out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk. Further more, these are my opinions and not those of Van's Aircraft.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:00 PM

Since my back is still not well enough to work inside the plane, I had to figure something else to work on from the outside. I did not want to work on the wheel pants, gear legs, fairings yet but it is one of the only things left to do that don't require a lot of heavy lifting. I know how much I dislike fiberglass work but get reminded ever so often. The wheel pants, gear legs and fairings are a pain. I should have waited but the process has started and it must be completed. Some pics below.

VAF 2022 paid VAF 704
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weigh out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk. Further more, these are my opinions and not those of Van's Aircraft.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:39 AM

So sorry to hear about your back Axel! I've had some experience along those lines and "it ain't fun". I applaud your decision to forge ahead on the other tasks. They have to be done sometime anyway; so you are making progress. Good move.

Your metal work, well all your work is beautiful. I wish you a speedy recovery & a happy 4th.

Cheers,
Old 07-04-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealfair View Post
Your metal work, well all your work is beautiful. I wish you a speedy recovery & a happy 4th.

Cheers,
Thank you for the kind words. Happy 4th!
VAF 2022 paid VAF 704
Old 07-17-2013, 11:01 PM

More work on the gear leg fairings. I was able to set the correct angle on the gear leg fairings this weekend. I used a different method than Vans because I was having problems with fairing twist. So I decided to drill a #40 hole on each side of the fairing and a matching hole on my work bench. I then left the #40 drill bit in place. Holding the fairing in place. After I had both end set, I used clamps and tape. I also drilled three #40 holes on the trailing edge of the fairing. The fairing came out straight during the installation. I was surprised. Pics below.

VAF 2022 paid VAF 704
Old 07-17-2013, 11:21 PM

I also worked on the gear intersection fairings. Been trying to figure out how to make the left and right side the same. Well more like "similar". They won't ever be the same. I tried out this idea of making a cardboard template until I was happy, then making the template out of thin metal. I did 2 of the same metal templates for the upper gear leg fairings. One for the front and one for the back. I slid the template into the aft gear leg seam then used glue to secure the aft metal template to the plane. I used tape on the forward template because I was able to bend a tab and tape the template in place. Pics below.

I then made the mold for the left side. Will try to make the right one in a few days. It ended up being larger than I wanted but it looks as good as any other I have seen.

VAF 2022 paid VAF 704
Old 07-17-2013, 11:25 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

That fairing looks fine Axel - press on with the other one!
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 07-18-2013, 05:57 PM

Most people can't see both fairings at the same time.

"God does not deduct from one's time on earth that which is spent in the air."