What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wave hello to the nice man on the 110th floor!

AAflyer

Well Known Member
I was lucky to be invited to be GIB for a Vlad-led tour up & down the Hudson River Corridor.
Starting with the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge.
IMG_4821_zps403c0d85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Across the harbor, over Brooklyn, with Manhattan just ahead?
IMG_4822-Version2_zps34e93c41.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Made a "U-ey" over the George Washington Bridge?our northern turn-point?
IMG_4832_zpsf2eed858.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Today, Nov. 3rd, was "Opening Day" for One World Trade center. Bet they didn't plan on a fly-by?
IMG_4840-Version3_zpsd92c97c0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Image1_zps49fc5076.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And just across the harbor from the "Freedom Tower", a Russian is flying free over the Statue of Liberty?
IMG_4844_zps574ecf65.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Time to head home?
IMG_4848-Version2_zps9f028aea.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
What a trip!!:D:D

wow,

thanks for sharing these great pictures. hard to believe they let ANY plane get that close to that very special new building.

I did this flight out of teterboro 8/2001. My wife got all excited and shot up all the film before we got to the statue! What great pics you have.
I only had like 6 yrs experience back then and was afraid to contest the tower when they asked me to speed up my landing because there was citation traffic behind me. Somehow I landed despite a 140 kt final.

"And just across the harbor from the "Freedom Tower", a Russian is flying free over the Statue of Liberty?"

That is an extremely powerful statement to me.

I grew up in South Florida during the Cuban missile crisis. We rode our bikes up A1A and played around the radar tower on the beach in north Boca. We practiced CD drills under our desks in grade school, foolishly being told, and believing, that a piece of wood and steel would save us from the nukes when they rained down on us from 90 miles away.

We were taught that Russians were evil and to fear them at all costs.

Fortunately, sanity overcame lunacy. And because of that the USA is blessed with Vlad, and so many others.

We truly do live in the most wonderful country in the world.

Thank you to all the service persons that have sacrificed so much for this to happen.

Another Vladventure! I've been wanting to learn this corridor for a while, but seeing as how I need to rely on my certificate for my paycheck I didn't want to do it for the first time on my own. Thanks Vlad! He takes good pictures too...

Thanks Bruce too for coming along. Someone is motivated to finish his 8 :D

Over the Verrazano

2vv2iys.jpg

Empire State

j0jgx4.jpg

New Yorks newest/most expensive new Park Avenue dwelling

33vmfme.jpg

Some really big park

i4h02g.jpg

Sullenburger visual

34i2q9x.jpg

Vlad wanted a rare picture, the endangered paper chart spotted in the wild.

6gzv3q.jpg

I got a new desktop wall paper

2v9cad1.jpg

"And just across the harbor from the "Freedom Tower", a Russian is flying free over the Statue of Liberty…"

That is an extremely powerful statement to me.

I grew up in South Florida during the Cuban missile crisis. We rode our bikes up A1A and played around the radar tower on the beach in north Boca. We practiced CD drills under our desks in grade school, foolishly being told, and believing, that a piece of wood and steel would save us from the nukes when they rained down on us from 90 miles away.

We were taught that Russians were evil and to fear them at all costs.

Fortunately, sanity overcame lunacy. And because of that the USA is blessed with Vlad, and so many others.

We truly do live in the most wonderful country in the world.

Thank you to all the service persons that have sacrificed so much for this to happen.

There was some conversation going on in our plane, about the significance. We had a Navy pilot, and USAF pilot in one plane... being led by a former Soviet pilot... in a flight of two up the Hudson River, past the statue and the WTC. The significance was not lost on us either. I remember visiting East Germany back in the 80's and East Berlin prior to the wall coming down. Never in a million years would've thought back then something like this would be a normal day in good ole 'Murica one day!!

Last edited:
That was a good evening! Thank you gentlemen for coming. Thanks for keeping the discipline and morale high. Next time we go to a range I already mapped the route :D

EH33582x.jpg

Last edited:
Glory days?

Vlad,
Is this a picture of your old "ride"? It has a lot of inlets??
Count me in for the "Range Rover"!!

C-141offacarrier_zpseca904ab.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
This a rare photo of my Special Ops days?Shhhh?Don't tell anyone. It's still classified.

Post #10

That should be a C-130 taking off the Forrestal with Adminal Flatley at the controls. He was the captain of the Saratoga when I served onboard. Alas both fine ships are at the scrapers now.

That should be a C-130 taking off the Forrestal with Adminal Flatley at the controls. He was the captain of the Saratoga when I served onboard. Alas both fine ships are at the scrapers now.

Two of my three boats are on the way to the beer can factory :(

I've done the Hudson River corridor (In a cessna 182, not an RV unfortunately), what an experience. For those looking to do it, there are some good things to know, and ensure you STUDY THE ROUTE! There's the Skyline Route (in contact with ATC, Class B VFR Transition route) and the Hudson River Exclusion (CTAF Calls based on VFR reporting points). You need to have a current New York TAC chart, the back has the reporting points and procedures on it. I did the Hudson River exclusion, and it was VERY busy with the local helicopter traffic, you have to keep your head on a swivel to avoid being on the evening news.

A little more info is in this FAA Safety PDF:

http://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/courses/content/79/776/kneeboard.pdf

There's also an FAA online training course that should be done before flying this route. You don't even have to sign up for an account (if you do, you get a certificate and it keeps it in your training records - it's free). Click the link below, click the "1", then click "Click here to begin course!":

https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/course_content.aspx?cID=79

OR

If you don't want to do the interactive course (or want something more concrete to have on say, an iPad), here is a PDF of the course (no pretty pictures):

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/courses/content/79/776/NY%20Airspace%20Text%20Only%20R2%20-072010.pdf

Happy flying!

Last edited:
I was told by a Coast Guard guy that anything under 65 feet is a boat; over that is a ship.

If the vessel leans into the turn its a boat, if it heels out away from the turn its a ship.

Boat:

turning.png

Ship (well, not this one... It's "The Boat)

turning_an_aircraft_carrier_01.jpg

Last edited:
To back Sig up?

?You live on a ship, but you fly on and off "The Boat". Naval aviators just get to do both...at the same time. One reluctantly, one with pure joy?well, except maybe on an ugly night! ;)

I'm saving my rubles, to trade them in for new friends, and a tour!

Cheers,
Bob

I can't see the number, but it looks like it could be the JFK in which case... Yes my first boat.

Back