What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crosswind landing RV-4

RV-4 crosswind landing

Hi Chris

You're right , the RV-4 can handle a lot of wind...

I found one of me landing at a FLY-IN ( CSU3 )when looking at yours...I didn't know it existed....The things we find on the net..

I remember being a gusty day though..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04oS31KsS9s

Cheers

Bruno

Wheel land a C-170 (non counter balanced elevator), then get back with us! :)

The first wheel landing I did in my C-170B was a "squeakier". Another pilot saw it and asked how in the world I did that.
I was never able to repeat it!

Wheel land a C-170 (non counter balanced elevator), then get back with us! :)

I admit that is impossible, since there are no 170s without elevator counterbalances. ;)

But I've seen more 170s do wheel landings than 3-pointers. What's the deal? I admit I've never flown one.

I admit that is impossible, since there are no 170s without elevator counterbalances. ;)

Actually, there are.

My "rag-wing" 1948 C-170 is uncounterbalanced.

Your arm gets a workout going down a rough grass strip, and wheelies are tricky.

But I prefer three pointers anyway!

alot depends on the airplane

Well done. Good approach with no excess speed. Nice to see people still doing 3-pointers, x-wind or not. Anyone can do a wheel landing. :p

The RV-4 is one of the easiest landing airplanes I have flown. It has good rudder athority, and the ailerons are effective until the plane stops flying.

Every airplane type is different. ie. generally making a full stall 3 point landing is beginners work. wheel landing a cessna steel gear tail dragger requires finess and a good touch.

The globe swift is better wheeled in because with full flaps the elevator gets blanked out by the flaps. Not saying it can't be done ( I have ) but I doubt one could do it well 5 times in a row.

my point is that every airplane type is different so we can't generalize techniques.

video was entertainment value only :))

my point is that every airplane type is different so we can't generalize techniques.

True, but once you get a handle on wheel landings, IMO they are easier (in most TW airplanes) than a good 3-pointer. I see more people do wheel landings these days in all types of TW airplanes IMO because they ARE easier, with less chance for those embarrassing bounces or drop-ins when you're trying to show everyone at the fly-in how good you can land. :)

Actually, there are.

My "rag-wing" 1948 C-170 is uncounterbalanced.

Sorry, way OT, but this is a '48 ragwing. Small elevator counterbalance. The 170B had a larger counterbalance, but it's still an aerodynamic counterbalance no? Never seen a 170 elevator with no counterbalance like a J-3 Cub elevator.

29g1k4g.jpg

When doing X winds I employ a technique that might be helpful. As I roll out on final, I say to myself "wing down, top rudder" and as I say it I do it.

When I say I do it, I do it to an exaggerated amount - for an x wind from the left, I put in a healthy amount of left aileron and a healthy amount of right rudder. Now with the correct cross controlled arrangement established in my brain, I just fly what I naturally need to keep on centerline pointed down the runway with no drift.

Positively establishing the correct control inputs at the outset just takes away any of the confusion as to what you will be doing, and from there it is just flying.

Try it. Works for me.

Sorry, way OT, but this is a '48 ragwing. Small elevator counterbalance. The 170B had a larger counterbalance, but it's still an aerodynamic counterbalance no? Never seen a 170 elevator with no counterbalance like a J-3 Cub elevator.

29g1k4g.jpg

Aha ... my error.

You are right, there is a small aerodynamic counterbalance, but no counterweight, which is what I was thinking of. Good point. I will tell you however, that with low airspeed and airflow the elevators are heavy!

Thanks for the video Chris...

The -4 amazed me a few months ago when I was performing air taxi duties for my wife. The winds were forecast at 14G18 but ended up being 18G22 and all 3 airports in the plan for the day and 90 degree winds at that.

I do this often solo but I was bit worried with the extra weight in the back but it was better. The airplane tended to weather vein less in the gusts.

Love the -4. Just need to get it back flying.

Hi Chris

You're right , the RV-4 can handle a lot of wind...

I found one of me landing at a FLY-IN ( CSU3 )when looking at yours...I didn't know it existed....The things we find on the net..

I remember being a gusty day though..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04oS31KsS9s

Cheers

Bruno

Bruno, I like your technique of dumping (raising) the manual flaps right after touchdown. I did the same with my -4....felt like spoilers deploying on an airliner.

Rv-4 crosswinds landing

Hi Jim

That's what I like about the manual flaps, as you say: they work like spoilers..

Depending on the conditions,I like raising them slowly which make the a/c settle down nice and smooth..but if required I just dumped them (like in the video) and wham...the a/c is no longer flying..

Bruno

Me too

Hi Jim

That's what I like about the manual flaps, as you say: they work like spoilers..

Depending on the conditions,I like raising them slowly which make the a/c settle down nice and smooth..but if required I just dumped them (like in the video) and wham...the a/c is no longer flying..

Bruno

Ditto Jim & Bruno. :)

Back