What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Petit Jean RV Flyin 2013 Pics

Looks like you had beautiful weather!

So were any of the "original" Petit Jean adventurers there this year? (Sky, Scorch, Jaybird....)

We love the pictures!

Bobby!! Amanda and I really enjoyed visiting with you and taking the hike on Cedar Falls! We got seperated and didn't realize that you were there all along. :) I'm glad you figured out what the yellow things were. That was gonna drive us crazy not knowing.

I think your airplane is beautiful and and I love your panel. Get the the paint in your own time.

Good times and looking forward to seeing you next time.

John and Amanda

We saw you :)

Yep, you guys got to the falls as we were leaving :) We met the other 2 guys just starting as we got back to the lodge they had to wait for the driver to bring them some batteries.

If you arrived late morning or very early afternoon on Friday, I may have a photo for you. Look and download here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/DanHor...&authkey=Gv1sRgCO6h5KPwvaPNTg&feat=directlink

OK, seen-around-the-campfire pop quiz.

1zzs1au.jpg

This is:
(1) a heavy metal rock star
(2) a UT fan
(3) an Italian peasant warding off the devil
(4) the devil himself.

Those smoke system oil tanks look neat!! Any info?

Marvin Homsley, www.smoke-system-helper.com

Last edited:
OK, seen-around-the-campfire pop quiz.

1zzs1au.jpg

This is:
(1) a heavy metal rock star
(2) a UT fan
(3) an Italian peasant warding off the devil
(4) the devil himself.

All of the Above?! :p

Glad to see the "founding father" was represented....

Petit Jean Fly In

This was the first Petit Jean fly in that I attended although I have flown into KMPJ on our own several times. To anyone who has not been there, it is really fun. The food is terrific, abundant, tasty and a pleasure to hang out with all the skilled builders and fliers. Petit Jean state park is beautiful, the runway long and the campground has power to run a heater or electric blanket. I bought ear plugs and it was really for my snore fest buddies, little did I know that the Canadian geese would be the loudest noise.

A hand to all the EAAers who put this together. Thanks thanks thanks. Since I was the guy who let my battery run down and needed a little help getting out, you guys are the greatest.

I will be back next year with more volts, promise.

S S Anderson
RV 7A
Lafayette, La.
Plane sleeps in New Iberia

This was my second Petit Jean Fly-in and if I remember correctly, last year someone left their master switch on and ran their battery down too.

Perhaps there should be an annual "Dead Battery Award" available for the next year's fly-in.

Something like this could be the trophy. Ought to fit in an RV baggage compartment for carrying it home just fine. :p
energyplus%20fixed.gif

Petit Jean Fly-in

This was our first Petit-Jean fly-in and we had a blast. Truly a great experience to meet wonderful people and some new friends, and by golly an old friend who I didn't know was an RV'er. Thanks to all the gang who helped put it on.

Marvin Homsley is the "Smokey" guy!

Those smoke system oil tanks look neat!! Any info?

Not only did we have a heck'uva good time, Walt managed to custom balance the props on 5 airplanes and Marvin talked smoke and showed off tanks all weekend. Andrew Barker, the new President of Tru-Trak Auto Pilots (I like saying that because he is an Arkansas boy :) was there to discuss how to "not fly" while you're flying!

I think this link to Marvins web site works so here'ya go!

http://www.smoke-system-helper.com/

I can send you his phone number if you like!

Thanks!

Dan, thanks for the pictures! I really like this one :)
No paint, but it still looks good!

MyRVLanding.jpg" height="230" width="400"

Wonderful weekend

Wow, what a wonderful weekend! This was my first Petit Jean weekend and I can promise you it won't be my last. My wife and I were treated and feed like royalty. I made new friends, made some other friendship stronger and that's what RVing is all about.

I got the grin in March and I have not regretted one single second of it. Bill, and the rest of the petit Jean crowd, you have a spectacular event that portrays what RVing is all about. This is a must attend event for all on this group. From the time we arrived, we were greeted by several smiling faces. Then on to registration where we received a great goodie bag. The vans to the lodge were always driven by very friendly, helpful people, without a long wait. The lodge was absolutely gorgeous, staffed by smiling faces. On to the food and parties, they were phenomenal! Tail number Bingo was a blast (even though, I didn't win!). Thank you for the tribute to the 49 plane flyover at KC stadium and the narration with an inside look. Highlight of the night! All finished off by great singing and dancing and more making new friends.

All of that was just friday! Saturday was just as fun with more RVing, more eating and more hospitality!

Again, thank you for making my wife and I feel so at home in Arkansas. You truly have a great event, a top notch venue, great "goodie" bags, all put together by really great people with a focus on making all of us feel so special.

Thanks again to Bill S and all of the Petit Jean organizers, volunteers, cooks, and workers. You guys are the BEST!

Don't Bogart that battery, pass it over to me??

HTML:
This was my second Petit Jean Fly-in and if I remember correctly, last year someone left their master switch on and ran their battery down too.

Perhaps there should be an annual "Dead Battery Award" available for the next year's fly-in.

Something like this could be the trophy. Ought to fit in an RV baggage compartment for carrying it home just fine.

OK now that I am outed as the one who needed a jump to get into the air on Sunday, I accept the Dead Battery Award. Was it embarrassing? Absolutely, but it could be much worse, like being stuck there for a few days, rent a car and get back with a new battery. Thanks to all the guys who assessed the battery charger was not working, the guys who jumped the battery and provided encouragement and help. You guys are great. Go Hogs.

This reminds me of a very rural airport I flew into late on a Saturday to pick a friend up. I had a flat on the front tire and there was one guy on the field who literally dropped everything to help me. I offered to pay for his service (I had another tube with me) but he said, "I can't accept payment other than help the next guy you see, as I have been in a bind and someone stopped to help me". I think they say "pay it forward". Once again, great fly in. Don't plan on winning this award again. Famous last words.

S S Anderson
RV 7A 325 hours.

hehehe!

I have to admit I've left my master switch on at an all-day event once before too. Fortunately the only thing drawing power was the master relay itself, as everything else in the plane was switched off, and another plus is that I've got a heavy-duty Concorde full-size battery up front to help out with the aft CG issues that 6's often have so the engine still started right up even though the starter was turning a bit slower than normal.

Nice

Hey Bobby.....enjoyed the pics with the commentary of your adventure....also looks like you are getting the Burl Ives look down pat for the holidays:D

Back