What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instrument panel flange

kens_cockpit

Well Known Member
my.php
[/URL][/IMG] I bent the centre of the F803CPP support flange while removing the F803BPP subpanels to which it had been riveted from the fuselage. Don't even ask how. It was unnecessary for this to occur but it did!

Rather than drill out the rivets and remove the entire flange I only removed the bent part. I then fabricated a replacement piece to go in the centre of the flange where the two subpanels join. The replacement part is shown in the photograph attached. It does NOT attach to the remainder of the F803CPP flange on either side further outboard of this replacement piece. But it seemed to me that the strength in this area comes from the attachment to the forward skin (F821PP I think)and the subpanels themselves rather than the connection along the length of the F803CPP.

The question is whether this is satisfactory or whether I need to order an entire new F803CPP and replace it. I asked Vans and they said they don't have any thoughts about it because they haven't tried it. Fair enough, but should I drill out the rivets on the rest of the flange and put an entirely new one in or is it OK to run with this fix? What do you think?

Instrument panel

What you are proposing will probably work fine. I ended up having to re-do the sub-panel on mine completely. When I drilled the F821PP top skin on I didn't have the instrument panel installed properly, so I drilled the top skin a bit too tight. I had to make several mods to this exact area of the top of the sub-panel. If you have not yet drilled the F821PP, make sure the instrument panel is installed correctly before you do! :)

BTW, all the parts for the sub-panel cost about USD 15 or so - it was really cheap IIRC.

I believe your proposed fix will be perfectly acceptable. I can't imagine how the F803CPP adds much strength to that area, as it is so flimsy. Its only purpose seems to be to provide a flange to attach the instrument panel to. Your new part should do that.

Go for it.

Back