What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stocking up on hardware

Scott_F

Since I don't live within in convenient driving distance of any good AN suppliers, and - since I have to order some extra bolts to complete my brake pedal assemblies, I wondered if you all have any good advice on general hardware items (sizes, types, etc.) I should stock up on as I begin work on completing the fuselage (cockpit, fuel, electrical)? What types of bolts, nuts, etc. would be handy to have around?

Thanks,

I declare that you can never have too much assorted hardware on the shelf. Definitely one of my not so secret passions. Tanya long ago stopped asking when another box of screws or something showed up, what I was going to do with them.

I agree with Scott. Every time I make an order from anywhere I include some screws, bolts, etc. or whatever is looking "sparse" in my bolt box. You can never have too many fasteners!

greg

Adel clamps, lots and lots of different size adel clamps!

And don't forget cotter pins.

Some of the suppliers sell assorted packages of nuts, bolts, washers, cotter pins, etc. Don't forget to get some thin (L) washers too.

I agree with Scott. Every time I make an order from anywhere I include some screws, bolts, etc. or whatever is looking "sparse" in my bolt box. You can never have too many fasteners!

greg

Yep, I think a lot of us work the same :). When I place an order for just about anything, I go to the shop and take a quick inventory of the neatly organized (by Tanya) assorted hardware bins. It is good to have company in insanity.

Yep, I think a lot of us work the same :). When I place an order for just about anything, I go to the shop and take a quick inventory of the neatly organized (by Tanya) assorted hardware bins. It is good to have company in insanity.
Yep, I do the same. My general rule is if there are fewer than 4 of anything, it goes on the order form.

Mitch Lock and his RV-12...

...are based just outside Pax River. He has built several different RV models. You can contact him through Van's website. He may be a good contact for you in your quest to locate parts in your neighborhood.

Hardware???

I got a garage full of extra hardware. Build a plane and in the process you will have tons of stuff left over. I wonder if I should keep it, with the thought of building again or selling it. I have a bunch of Adel clamps, bolts, lots of rivets, wire, switches. On a small part, I would sometimes order the larger and smaller size bolt so I did not have to wait a week to reorder the larger version.

With the shipping costs more than most small parts, this seemed to work for me. Anything to save a week but as the build continued, I learned to make bulk purchases and not wait.

Building is a "educational and recreational experience". How true.

S S Anderson
RV 7A
Flying 84 hours.

Does anyone know of a supplier of the Adel clamps that have the "mounting ears" in the center rather than on the bottom?? Think they would be good for mounting things to the engine mount.
I know they are out there but can't find supplier -- went through my usual list of suspects -- no joy
Bob

Back