What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing Parts During Construction

MJarreau

Well Known Member
I was dimpling a rear spar for the elevators and made the most lovely figure 8 in such a way that Vans' support recommended replacement. Ugh.

Part Ordered.

The skins and ribs are already dimpled and ready to rivet. When the new part arrives, do I simply repeat the build instructions as they relate to the replacement part?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Hi Mike,

The accuracy of the pre-punched parts is such that you should be able to just final drill and dimple your new spar as received without final drilling to the existing elevator.

I would however carefully match up the #30 holes for the end ribs and horn and drill these in assembly with what you already have. In my experience the existing 3/32 skin holes always line up with new parts, but sometimes the #30 holes are a touch off. You may end up with a couple of slightly oval holes here, but these are easily fixed by going up a rivet size (or even just going up slightly using an oversize Cherrymax, saves going up a full size).

Good luck, I think you will find it straightforward. It will be good practice for when you have to replace a rear wing spar :|

H

Last edited:
Back