What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EZ-DRAIN - Emptying (horizontal) Oil Filter

HFS

Well Known Member
Here's a little "gadget" I make to empty horizontal oil filters @ oil change -

YMMV - and probably does!

HFS

Attachments

• EZ-DRAIN.jpg
    EZ-DRAIN.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 238
  • EZ-DRAIN Instructions.pdf
    23.8 KB · Views: 285
Tempest has a product called EZ-Drain. I'm assuming this is something different. Is this something you're selling?

I just got one of these from HFS yesterday, and really look forward to trying it out - but unfortunately, I fairly recently changed oil on both of our airplanes with horizontal filters, so it’ll be at least a few months before I get to use it in anger....but I’ll report back when I do!

Paul

There was a fairly heated discussion here a few weeks ago, as to whether or not punching a vent hole allowed dirty oil and contaminants to drain back into the engine. I’m not sure a consensus was ever reached?

There was a fairly heated discussion here a few weeks ago, as to whether or not punching a vent hole allowed dirty oil and contaminants to drain back into the engine. I’m not sure a consensus was ever reached?

Soooo...if its a taildragger, and all the wheels are on the ground, the back of the oil filter ) on a horizontal filter mount) is going to be measurably lower than the engine end. Punching a hole at the low end and draining from there should keep the oil from flowing uphill, I’d think.

Nose draggers - ya’ll can argue this out among yourselves! ;) (My nose dragger doesn’t have a Lycoming...)

EZ-DRAIN Followup

I didn't mean to "plagiarize" the name - it's just what came to me at the time (25+ years ago).

For my particular situation - first a -4 and then an HR II (both with horizontal filter locations), there isn't much room underneath the filter (because of the rudder "shelf" on the FW) for any draining device - so that's the reason for the 90* elbow. It allows a direction change for the drain tube in the least distance - in my Rocket there is about 3/4" between the underside of the filter and the top of the FW recess, not much room to fit an adequate drainage device.

My idea was just to show a simple MYO solution to a problem that plagues us "horizontal" folks.

Even if they were available back then, both of the links shown above would not clear under my filter when it is rotated down for the drain "cycle".

Total parts cost is about $3.00 - most expensive is the hose clamp (and you might already have one laying around somewhere) @ $1.75, the O-ring is $.25, and the vinyl tubing is around a buck. YMMV of course - but these numbers will be close.

HFS

Neat Idea. I am going to make one of those today! Definitely beats holding a bag under the filter. Curious if you need to punch a hold in the top to get it to drain. I believe that the auto filters I use have a diaphragm in them to hold the oil in the filter.

Larry

Reading the instructions, it feels like drilling holes in the filter would contaminate the filter element with metallic chips.

For folks who have done this - do the drill chips confound your visual inspection of the filter element after removing the filter and cutting it open?

Punching A "Vent" Hole

Yes - If you'll read the instructions - Line 8: Punch or drill "vent" hole at the top of the filter (along the "ridgeline") to insure complete and rapid draining of trapped oil.

HFS

Reading the instructions, it feels like drilling holes in the filter would contaminate the filter element with metallic chips.

For folks who have done this - do the drill chips confound your visual inspection of the filter element after removing the filter and cutting it open?

No it has not for the last 20-years I have been doing it. It is easy to identify what you just drilled out.

Back