What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Charleston, SC pirep

TShort

Well Known Member
Considering flying to Charleston SC this weekend ... have a family vacation on the books, and depending on weather I might just hold the Southwest tickets and fly ourselves.

What's the best bet for the area? We're staying on Kiawah, so KJZI (Charleston Exec) is definitely the most convenient, but rental cars are 3-4x what they'd be at the main airport.

Any pireps or recommendations on where to land / tie down in the Charleston area?

Thanks in advance.

Thomas

I use KJZI. Very nice FBO with self serve fuel on the north ramp. Every time I go they wave all fees if I get SS fuel. I pay the price for the rental car for the convenience. I used KCHS one time and by the time you pay the ramp fee, security fee and fuel pricing it is much cheaper to use KJZI. Very laid back as well.

Give Pelican Aviation a call (843-851-0970) at Summerville Airport (KDYB). However DYB is about 30 miles north of Charleston and there is no overnight hangar rental space available that I know of. They can book you a car through Enterprise. It may not be worth the hassle in lieu of the convenience of JZI.

I may be at the airport when you arrive, if you have the time stop by.

Last edited:
I lived down in that area.....Summerville and Moncks Corner would definitely be cheaper but a long drive to where you are going compared to Charleston Exec. I fly into KCHS sometimes as well. Just like anywhere else, the airports in / near big cities will charge more $$.....but if you are staying a Kiawah......well. I'd probably just keep with your original choice.

KCHS is very nice but pretty pricey. $40 for a ramp fee unless you buy gas. Never stayed overnight, so not sure if they'd waive an overnight fee. Lots of traffic in the air down there, so just be aware. Never been to Exec, but my buddy has. Cheaper ramp fees.

KJZI for sure!!

It's 5-10 mins from Kiawah call ahead to the FBO and they will make sure you have a rental available.

Weather forecast is perfect and I'm 3 miles from KJZI

Life is great here in Paradise.

Back