What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VP-100 Flap Programming

swaneymj

Anyone out there that could help with a VP-100 Flap programming issue? I'm still trying to get my initial installation to work and following the Installation Manual I end up getting a Flap Disable fault that I can't seem to clear. Please drop me a PM.
Thanks
:confused:

I have the standard RV flap motor wired through the VP-100 using an external flap switch (momentary up/down). I triple-checked the grounding of the switch works correctly. I can get the flaps to move and display correctly in the momentary mode as long as I first disable the flaps in the setup, cycle the power, then re-enable the flaps. That works until I cycle the power again, which brings up a Flap Enable fault during the startup built-in test. I tried to set up the Position mode and that's when the problem started. I have a Ray Allen position sensor. I set the UP, DN and two intermediate stops (A & B) set per the instructions as well as the End Travel and Max Travel (0.5 and 20 sec). Locking up is set to YES (but changing this didn't make any difference).

The programming instructions end with the flaps in the mid position. After saving the setup, and going back to the normal mode I bumped the flap switch down and they came down to the "B" stop. I bumped the switch down again and they came down to the DN stop - fully extended. When I bumped the flap switch to UP, the flaps travelled all the way up, then the motor ran for 20 seconds and stopped. That's when the Master Switch turned red and the Flap Enable fault returned. It won't clear with switch 7 or 8. I have to push the ACK button to acknowledge it, the go back to the setup. The only way I can get the flaps to move again is to return to the momentary mode, disable the flaps, cycle the power, then re-enable the flaps. But if I turn the power off at that point the Flap Enable fault returns when it powers up again.

I'm stumped. :mad:

I haven't spent much time with the VP-100, but here are a few things to try. First of all, set the up and down positions a little shy if their actual position locations on the sensor. For example, if 0 is all the way up and 255 is all the way down, set them at 10-15 and maybe 240 and set them to run 2-3 seconds past the position. Make sure you don't turn power on with the flap switch locked up. Running 20 seconds past the up stop is a problem. IIRC, the flaps are set to disable if they run for 15 seconds non-stop. It could be that it isn't quite reaching the up position on the sensor and keeps running until it disables it due to thinking it has runaway flaps.

Let me know if any if these things help.

After reading your details again and thinking through my response, I'm fairly convinced if you set the up and down stops short of their actual position and set end travel to 2-3 seconds that will solve your problem. Please let me know.

Also keep in mind that if you are using the absolute full travel of the sensor, you could be over stressing it and it could break. You don't want to travel past where the sensor is made to stop.

I believe ur travel limit of the sensor is being exceeded and it stops sending a value to the vp. So the vp thinks the motor is stuck on but the flaps aren't moving and it flags a fault

Hey Jesse. Your a genius. It worked just like you said. Thanks a million!!! :D
Bill, thanks for your input too!! Now I can move on and get this thing finished.
Mark Swaney
F-1 Rocket N76TR

Thanks for helping Mark out guys...I wish I had a stronger knowledge of the -100 system, but this is exactly what the online community is for! I've been struggling to get Mark a fix. Thanks again.:cool:

Thanks for helping Mark out guys...I wish I had a stronger knowledge of the -100 system, but this is exactly what the online community is for! I've been struggling to get Mark a fix. Thanks again.:cool:

You can thank us by bring the VP-200 (or feature equivalent) back! :D

Back