What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recommendations within 1½ hours from KC area

crabandy

Well Known Member
I'm hoping for some suggestions on a short anniversary trip within a 1 1/2 hour flight of the Kansas City area in a couple weeks. We will have our 1 year old with us and its a fly out on Fri morning and fly back Sat mid-morning. Because of the shorter time frame etc I was hoping not to get a rental car, looking for a quaint downtown type district where everything lodging/food/entertainment/shops are all in one place.

Places I've considered:
Gaston's-Not sure about activities that we can do with the 1 year old
Branson-Been there before and a little too touristic
Herman, Mo-Hotels are booked for Octoberfest
Petit Jean-Wife said "NO CAMPING WITH THE BABY!"
Hannibal Mo-On the Mississippi River with a downtown area, Mark Twain Museums and quilt shops.

Other ideas?

Thanks,
Andy

Anniversary Trip

http://crystalbridges.org/

Bentonville, AR

The Walton fortune has created the finest museum of American Art, including Rockwell's original "Rosie the Riveter" and many portraits of the American founders, etc

The architecture is fantastic. Food available and kids could easily be entertained by activity and color.

St. Charles

Fly into Spirit of St. Louis airport (KSUS) or Creve Coeur (1H0) and get a taxi to old St. Charles.

http://www.historicstcharles.com/

Your choice of bed and breakfasts there and just enough stuff to do and shopping within walking distance to keep you occupied for 1-1.5 days. Nice brewery as well if that's your style.

My wife and I met there when we lived in St. Louis, so we like to return at least every couple of years. We're headed there for a long weekend in early October. Your description of quaint downtown district fits perfectly.

(If you fly into KSUS their rental cars on site may be cheaper than a 2-way taxi ride. Plenty of free parking downtown.)

Last edited:
nice B&B in Mexico, Mo.

haven't made it yet myself but plan to. looks like wife will be spoiled, and that's important. also an airplane plant nearby. check it out.

Well, no transponder takes St. Charles out of the running. Apparently October is VERY popular in Arkansas. I really want to go to Petit Jean, but we would have to stay somewhere else so it'll remain on the "to do" list, probably camping with my girls!
Will from Summit Aviation sold me on VBT over the phone. Reservations made at 21C ($$$$$ costs more than filling up the RV!) hoping to get a one night stay at the local bed & breakfast for half price. Not really an artsy type but I think we'll enjoy the Crystal Bridges Art Museum and the local shopping with an evening Oktoberfest on the downtown square.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Well, no transponder takes St. Charles out of the running. Apparently October is VERY popular in Arkansas. I really want to go to Petit Jean, but we would have to stay somewhere else so it'll remain on the "to do" list, probably camping with my girls!
Will from Summit Aviation sold me on VBT over the phone. Reservations made at 21C ($$$$$ costs more than filling up the RV!) hoping to get a one night stay at the local bed & breakfast for half price. Not really an artsy type but I think we'll enjoy the Crystal Bridges Art Museum and the local shopping with an evening Oktoberfest on the downtown square.
Thanks for the suggestions!

You'll love the VBT airport. Some of the nicest folks around, free tie-downs, and reasonable self-serve 100LL. We were just there this weekend. Somehow even when the winds are howling in Kansas, Northwest Arkansas always seems to be clear and calm.

Can't speak to 21C as we always stay with family. Crystal Bridges is always a good visit too.

Just as a note, you could probably work around the transponder issue if you want to visit St. Charles sometime. An advance phone call to the STL TRACON (314 89zero one thousand three) before you leave home would likely get you approval.

Thanks for the info on STL Apch, I assumed since it was NSVFR they were probably sticklers on the no transponder. I have found MCI and ICT Apch both more than reasonable on working me through without a transponder. I am getting very close to finishing my panel and can't wait for the new capability.

Kurt, it was so nice to meet you in person several weeks ago we'll have to plan a fly-in destination sometime.

It was great to finally meet you too, Andy. I know I sort of ambushed you when you were busy with family - sorry about that. Didn't want to miss the chance to say hi.

Back