What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Charleston SC Fly In?

jimpappas

Well Known Member
Hey folks I got permission, and a promise of some help, to hold an RV gathering here at Charleston Executive (JZI).

It is about 20 mins South of downtown Charleston and all it has to offer, there are rental cars at the airport but if we have a crowd they will need more.

It is an old WW2 airfield run by the County. Even has the ruins of a Civil War fort on it!

It is also about the same drive to Kiawah Island where I live.

Great Beach, 10 miles long.

We can have local Carolina Pulled Pork or BBQ for lunch at the airport and the FBO is really nice inside!. Not big enough to hold us all though. I'll need to line up a hangar for us to eat in.

They will offer a lower gas price than normal.

He told me to pick a date and we will get started on it!?

Best time of year here is before or after "Tourist Season" which runs May-Oct but really drops off after Labor Day.

So, April or early May otherwise after Labor Day but before Thanksgiving.

Was thinking maybe around Sun N Fun? Pit stop along the way?

Unfortunately camping with your plane is not an option. Between the bugs and the gators you would be at too much risk overnight laying out at the field.

So you'd either need to plan on making it for the day or if you want to make a weekend of it you can rent a hotel in Downtown Charleston, or a Villa on the beach on Kiawah!

Let us know, Beata is a local Realtor!

Let me know what you all think?

Hey Jim,
I am sure we could make it about anytime. We would just make it a visit the grandson-plus.
I really like KJZI as an access to Charleston.

Jim,

Great idea. Area hotels start getting expensive starting in late March. The Family Circle Cup Tennis tournament starts on Mar 29 and the peak azalea bloom season is during the first week of April. Sun-n-Fun is Apr 1-6. Triple Tree is Sept 3-7.

I need to schedule a transponder cert with Stick at JZI when we get back. I'll give you a call. Let me know how I can help.

Last edited:
absolutely! Bet you my wife would even agree to come along if I made it a long weekend! If you settle on a date, please let me know.

Count me in. I'm at KJZI at least monthly visiting my parents on Bohicket Road. Be glad to help in setup, just let me know (pm is fine).

TENTATIVE DATE FOR CHARLESTON SC RV FLY IN!?

Going to try to set it up for Sat March 29th!?

That is the weekend before Sun N Fun so maybe a nice pit stop or side trip?

Free tie downs and no landing fees.

We will find a BBQ place to bring Carolina Pulled Pork.

Event Saturday but you can make a weekend of it.

Don't book anything yet until I confirm all is good to go!

There is a new hotel opening at Kiawah Island area (10 mins f/ KJZI and the beach is there) but don't know if it will be online by then.

Just save the date kinda thing right now.

Should know soon.

Thanks

Charleston/Kiawah Island, SC fly in update

Right now it is in standby status for Saturday March 29 as planned, weather permitting.

I need to confirm some details, and will update around March 5th to lock it down.

I appreciate everyone who has already said they'd like to come.

When we get closer I'll try to get a head count for the BBQ.

I'm not sure if the new hotel here will be open yet so I'll touch base on that info too.

Anyone wanting to help, please chime in if you haven't.

I really hope we can pull this off and have good weather too. It will really make an impression on the local airport folks and maybe we can make it an annual stop on the way to Sun N Fun?

More later.

CHARLESTON SC FLY IN A GO!!

Well, it looks like, weather permitting, WE ARE A GO for the flyin at Charleston Executive Airport (KJZI)!! (Local PIREPS would be much appreciated)

As I have posted before it is an old WW2 base, and a Civil War Fort before that so there is lots of room to park.

There are places to tie down on the concrete or in the grass. It's best if you bring your own tie downs, especially if you park in the grass.

Camping under the planes is not recommended (as in you can't) due to crawly things that bite, so if overnight is your plan, Beata can help with rentals on Kiawah Island about 5-10 minutes away.

Sun up should be around 0730 or so by then, and I plan to get there from work about that time on Saturday for the days event.

Arrive when you like, stay for a day or longer, but the flyin is technically Saturday all day.

This is a gorgeous place and that week should be about peak spring colors, temps this time of year vary from 55-80 so keep a weather eye as we get closer.

If we get rained out, we will set it up in the fall after "tourist season".

There are rental cars and 15 passenger vans that can be rented but call ahead (843-559-2401 Atlantic Aviation Services) to reserve a rental please so the FBO has enough on hand.

Anyone interested in seeing the beach or houses need to touch base with Beata as she is the Realtor not me.

Full Service fuel will be discounted .50 a gallon Saturday and all fees are waved for the event.

Paul Aiken, the Airport Operations Manager, has been great about letting us use the airport and the FBO including the Conference room and lounges for the day.

He will have some line boys up to speed to help too and I know several of our folks have offered to help too and it will be greatly appreciated!

We are still trying to arrange for some Carolina Pulled Pork for purchase from one of the Best BBQ places in the Charleston area but will need to confirm we can get it delivered and at what price per head. At the Restaurant it's usually around $7 with a couple sides and great cornbread.

More details as we get closer, but wanted to put this out there so we can all start planning for a fun day.

Please start to give me a head count if you know or are pretty sure you will come so I can keep track and if we can get food I'll need it closer to the date as well.

Volunteers please let me know, and also if you are planning to make a weekend of it.

Now - Ya'll come!! :)

(Can a Moderator please update the header to reflect that it's a GO!)

We will try to make it if schedule permits. We have friends we can stay with. We were there in the Fall. Nice airport.

LeRoy Johnston, Ohio
RV-6A "Esperanza" 780 hours

Jim - count me plus my better half in! And I'll be in the weekend prior (22-23rd) staying with my folks on Bohicket to help coordinate.

To those that haven't been to KJZI, it's a very easy field to fly into with two nice runways. Recommend talking to Charleston Appr since KJZI is on the edge of class C, and listen up on 122.8 a ways out since KJZI can get busy. Charleston appr is easy to work with, and they may take you over the Charleston Battery coming from the north, or down the beach along Kiawah and Seabrook Island.

Atlantic Aviation is a great FBO, though fairly busy this time of year so expect some pretty nice corporate jets on the west side of the ramp. Full service fuel discount will be nice - there's self-service fuel too away from Atlantic Aviation, but it sounds like Jim's good coordination work probably matches that price. There are limited tiedowns, so the grass is where we'll be, just off the taxiway - bring tie-down stakes and ropes. You'll need them anyway on your way to Sun n Fun which is a 2 hour easy flight south from KJZI - that's where I'll be heading.

There's great seafood, beeches, Freshfields shopping and eating, Bohicket Marina with rental boats and charters, and all within a 10 minute drive. I'll have access to a large car and will be available to give rides as best I can. And the Charleston downtown and battery is only a 30 minute drive away.

I look forward to it. Thanks Jim!

Stamp Walden
N74BZ (RV-7A)

JZI Fly-in and Family Circle Cup Tennis...

For those of you interested in professional tennis, the Family Circle Cup tournament starts on 30 March. The 64 players field, with 6 of the top ten players in the world attending to include the Williams sisters. The tournament is held at Daniel Island. This is a close up and personal stadium. On the 29th is when the match pairings are made. My job is to post those pairings on the stadium draw board later that day.

During the course of the week, we usually receive some free tickets. If any of you are planning to extend your stay that week, PM me, I would be happy to pass out whatever tickets I receive.

The week of the 29th is also the premier week of the year to visit Charleston. This is the peak azalea bloom season and all of the visitor centers are open and in full swing. Popular tourist activities are taking a carriage tour of the city, Middleton Place Gardens, and visiting the H.L. Hunley submarine exhibit...and oh yes...don't forget to visit my Jabiru powered RV-12.:D Also, there are at least a billion world-class restaurants in the city.

So if you are not planning to attend SnF, this is a great destination to earn brownie points between you and your spouse.

Formation Clinic Weekend

Be advised that weekend is the formation clinic at Stanley County. Not sure if that is good or bad for your attendance.

Charleston SC Fly in is ON!

All things look good.

I have not lined up the BBQ yet, working mids makes it a little tougher, but if we look like less than 50 will attend and want food, that is the smallest order they will cater for us, so head count matters folks. Sound off with head count please.

The weather is improving here and things are already starting to bloom in places.

Should be a great time to visit.

More updates as needed.

Hoping to see many of the folks I haven't seen for a while too!

head count

Sounds like we are around 21 plus myself and Beata, makes about 23 for a head count?

There's a Coast Guard Airfac on the field, and I'm thinking if we do get pulled pork, maybe if they have a crew on duty that day maybe we can each kick in an extra buck or two our own meal to buy them lunch?

I need to find out how many are there though.

If it's a large number we may not be able to cover them but I am going to try if the group likes the idea!?

Looking forward to seeing you all.

Charleston SC fly in 3/29!

I started a new thread in case folks weren't sure that it's a go.

If any moderators can link them or if Doug can feature it that would be cool too.

Back