What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight instructor near Austin

usafape

I am looking for a flight school/instructor in the Austin area. Does anyone have a suggestion? I figured I'd ask here before venturing on my own.

Cheers

I am about to go get a BFR with Ken Wittekiend at ProMark Aviation in Burnet. I was using George Farris before, but he hasn't responded to my voice mail or emails, so I guess he must be gone.

I flew with Ken a couple of years ago, and he was very thorough and knowledgeable. He's a little more expensive than others, but he is dedicated to instruction, and not just looking to build time en-route to an airline job. I intend to continue into his IFR proficiency program to get an IPC and keep current for IFR operations.

I would also consider going to Pilot's Choice Aviation, in Georgetown. I haven't visited with them in some time,but they were a good flight school.

Thanks,

I had a flight scheduled with George Farris today and he called yesterday to cancel. KAUS would be best for me as it is the closest. Georgetown could be an option but it will be a haul.

Glad to hear George is OK. I like him too.

I have my own plane, and Burnet is a little closer than KAUS.

The last time I got a BFR with George, I picked him up at KAUS. We had to scoot out quickly because the FBO's there want a significant fee even for just picking up someone. This is not an issue if you're flying one of George's planes.

Been looking at Ken's website. Lot's of good information there. I'll get in touch with him too. Burnet is not that far for me, so I'd think that could be an option.

Another vote for Ken

I'll give another vote for Ken Wittekiend at ProMark Aviation in Burnet. I did my tailwheel endorsement with him...he's a great instructor and fun to fly with.

can do FRs and TW endorsements...

Flt Reviews VFR single engine only. TW endorsements in yours or in my Cub. I am near Seguin/New Braunfels if that is more convenient for you. I am retired so available most of the time. 405-488-5488

Ken Wittekind

+1 on Ken. I got my tailwheel endoresement with him over a weekend. I had a lot of fun and learned a ton about flying outside the plane.

I've been training with Randy Blair through AboveAviation.com based in KAUS. I'd recommend him.

Instruction runs $40 an hour and the planes go for $85 to $120 wet.

Back