What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

South Texas paint shops

jasman45

My father and I are looking at having our recently finished RV-9A painted. Would like to get some recommendations from the group. I am located in San Antonio.

Thanks,
Brian

The neat thing about RV's is their speed - from San Antonio, you are about an hour and fifteen minutes away from Grady at GLO Custom - 52F, in Fort Worth. Well worth looking at his work and getting his bid. They've got an awful lot of satisfied customers.

Paul

I am considering Airbornekustomz at Giddings Texas. They like RV's, located right on the airport.
I was especially impressed with their prep work, instead of just blowing it on any old surface..

Paintshop

I second what Paul said.
I picked mine up from Glo-Custom in February, excellent work. Highly recommended.

Good Luck.

For those who used Glo-Custom, how long did the whole process take them?

One month - Grady and Brandon have it down to a science, and they run them through like clockwork.

Oh yeah - if they do a "little" airbrushing, it might take a touch longer... :p

Fort Worth is nice too

Brian:

Mine was painted at Aircraft Paint Service, Fort Worth Meacham Field. It's been 7 years and I haven't kept up with the shop but you might check with them. Art and Homer are the owners. (817) 626- 2038. Been painting aircraft (singles through light jets) for 35 years. They finished mine in two weeks and it was definitely not a standard paint scheme. The finish still looks like new.

Chris

Last edited:
Glo_Custom timescale

My plane was ready in ready in 3 1/2 weeks, I was expecting longer. Grady said around 4 weeks when I dropped it off, I remember thinking I'll be surprised if he manages that. Sure enough he did. DarylT here on the forums was dropped off the day I picked up mine, same timescale for him. My neighbor, also on these forums had his painted by Airbourne Customz in Giddings, he was able to get it back after 4 MONTHS in the paint shop!!!

P1040912.JPG

That is why I asked. Even though I love his paint jobs and prep, everyone seems to have to endure long waits to finish. At my age I don't even buy green bananas any more. Fly her in and gitter dun is my wish.

My plane was ready in ready in 3 1/2 weeks, I was expecting longer. Grady said around 4 weeks when I dropped it off, I remember thinking I'll be surprised if he manages that. Sure enough he did. DarylT here on the forums was dropped off the day I picked up mine, same timescale for him. My neighbor, also on these forums had his painted by Airbourne Customz in Giddings, he was able to get it back after 4 MONTHS in the paint shop!!!

P1040912.JPG

would like to hear...

...who you selected and how pleased you are with the price and the outcome, when it's done. I have a -9 just outside San Antonio i'd like to be able to afford to paint before too much longer. don o.

Glo Custom

One month to the day and actually could of picked it up a week earlier.

Over the 8 years of building every time I looked at a nice paint job it was usually a Glo Custom paint job. That is what convinced me. Give Grady and Brandon a chance and you will be happy.

Paint25.JPG

Last edited:
My neighbor, also on these forums had his painted by Airbourne Customz in Giddings, he was able to get it back after 4 MONTHS in the paint shop!!!

Aww now, don't exaggerate the facts. It wasn't 4 months... it was 3 months and 3 weeks! Either way, it was waaay too long.

Last edited:
Some GLOwing recommendations for Glo-Customs. Would anyone care to give some generalizations of prices for this speedy service? What range of price would I expect to pay for three colors for instance.

Brian:

Mine was painted at Aircraft Paint Service, Fort Worth Meacham Field. It's been 7 years and I haven't kept up with the shop but you might check with them. Art and Homer are the owners. (817) 626- 2038. Been painting aircraft (singles through light jets) for 35 years. They finished mine in two weeks and it was definitely not a standard paint scheme. The finish still looks like new.

Chris
Art and Homer closed up shop a couple of years ago. They had been around for a long time. Good people, sad to see them go.

Just East of San Antonio between the alert areas is Sky Art painting at Cibolo Sea Willow pvt airport. They have painted three of my planes.
Chad 830-743-3563

Man, I'm sorry to hear AirborneKustomz takes so long! After collecting paint job ideas over the last 2 years, nearly all the designs I really like are from their shop!

that giddings place (airborn customs) sure has some amazing designs! do they sell design work? or do people just copy them alot?

How much

One month to the day and actually could of picked it up a week earlier.

Over the 8 years of building every time I looked at a nice paint job it was usually a Glo Custom paint job. That is what convinced me. Give Grady and Brandon a chance and you will be happy.

Paint25.JPG

So, in round numbers, what's a paint job like that go for these days?

Airborne Kustomz is no longer at Giddings (GYB) the FBO is now operated by Sills Aviation Service. John did some amazing paint work on some very nice RV's.

I am considering Airbornekustomz at Giddings Texas. They like RV's, located right on the airport.
I was especially impressed with their prep work, instead of just blowing it on any old surface..

I looked around and all the shops were 10-20k for a paint job. including the giddings shop.
i had a guy at propwash paint my plane. just south of 5k and it took 3 months. I was impatient and didnt let him finish the final polish but hes pretty good and finished some of the problematic fiberglass as well. he had a bonanza and did some other planes/cars pre adn post my job. removed canopy, all fiberglass, primed and 1 coat of imron. 3 colors.

justin texas,
jeff boyds

Did he move somewhere else? His web site still shows him at Giddings.

Airborne Kustomz is no longer at Giddings (GYB) the FBO is now operated by Sills Aviation Service. John did some amazing paint work on some very nice RV's.

Don, I saw that too. I'm not sure where he went but he certainly isn't at Giddings. I was there a few weeks ago.

PM him here on VAF I think his handle is "painterjohn"

Did he move somewhere else? His web site still shows him at Giddings.

Painter-John, in Giddings

Don, I saw that too. I'm not sure where he went but he certainly isn't at Giddings. I was there a few weeks ago.

PM him here on VAF I think his handle is "painterjohn"

John is still in Giddings. I just got off the phone with him and he said that he moved out of the big hanger and he has now moved into two of the smaller hangers there on the field, but he is still there.

Mark

Sorry guys, I was under the impression from the FBO that he was gone all together.

John is still in Giddings. I just got off the phone with him and he said that he moved out of the big hanger and he has now moved into two of the smaller hangers there on the field, but he is still there.

Mark

You should check these guys out

You probably should check out Tejas Aero Services at the San Marcos Municipal Airport (HYI). http://www.tejasaero.com/

Here's a notice on the Home page of the website: In 2012, three Tejas Aero Services customers took their aircraft to Oshkosh and all three won awards: 1964 Cessna 310 (Reserve Grand Champion), 1954 Cessna 195 (Outstanding Custom), and a new home-built Bearkut won the Lindy - a clean sweep!

Talk about close to you . . .

RV Paint

IF?? You want a Good Paint Job on your RV???
Take it to Grady and Brandon
GLO Custom Paint at 52F North West Regional Airport

There is NO question that they will do a good job on your RV

Tejas

Better be careful about Tejas. My hanger mate just got his plane painted there. The paint work looks very nice but the customer service and business end of the transaction sucked big time. The plane was delivered to them middle of February and was ready for pickup on last day of May. However there were some defects that needed taken care of etc. so the plane was finally picked up at the end of June. Customer was overall pleased with the work just totally unhappy about everything else. My opinion is the paint job is nice but defiantly won't win any awards. Buyer beware. Your results may not be the same. Just one data point.

If you pool all the advice and happy customers, this seems to be a no-brainer. It is where I plan to have mine painted.

IF?? You want a Good Paint Job on your RV???
Take it to Grady and Brandon
GLO Custom Paint at 52F North West Regional Airport

There is NO question that they will do a good job on your RV

Are paint shops getting 15 to 20 thousand for that thick Jet Glow paint jobs?!? man that stuff looks great on a 747 but sure makes a small plane look like ****!
What are they getting for nice modern clear coat jobs, with artistic fades and shadows and all that fancy stuff 30 grand!?

My hangar mate has JetGlow on his recently painted 7 and the stripes are as thick as business cards, and already chipping!! I dont know who did it but it was in the Dallas area somewhere

That sucks the Giddings guy is gone! I have seen a few of those jobs up close, granted not all of them were show winners, not sure if that's what the owners wanted or not, but the ones that were show winners were smooth as GLASS! I can see where something like that blue one in the Garmin booth last year would cost around 10 or 15K or so.. but for the thick appliance Jet Glow paint and wavy/crooked stripes?? no way!

Call them and get your own quote....

For anyone reading this thread later on (or now), I suggest that you completely ignore the numbers flying around in various posts - just call the shop directly and get a quote. Shops want your business, they'll tell you what they will charge. And a lot depends on what you want done. I can tell you that our little -3 cost a lot more than my big -8....but the -8 didn't take three weeks of airbrushing and clearcoat.

there is (or at least was) a little outfit...

...at the airstrip just a mile or so from Heritage Airpark, about 20 miles SE of San Antonio. I do not know anything about the quality of their work, and haven't been there in a couple of years, but I do know there are/were at least several airplanes painted there by the guys who had a small business. when I was there they were painting a twin and a single and the aircraft looked good. so this might be a waste of time or a great tip, but I thought i'd put it out there for you.

I have a -9 I want painted too, but so far haven't been willing to do without her for the length of time apparently required.

Another datapoint for GLO in Dallas. Grady and Brandon couldn't be easier to work with; promised and completed in four weeks and I'm very happy with the job they did.

yes, Sea Willow is...

...the airport. see an earlier post in the thread from someone who has experience with them. good luck, and let us know who you select and how you like the result: I might follow your footprints.

Back