What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bolts in Wings Holding Autopilot

Steve A

Well Known Member
I had to take the TruTrak Autopilot out of my RV-7A and when I reinstalled it, the three bolts that hold it against the spar were snugged but did not seem to get tight. I wonder if the plate nuts on the back of the spar could be
stripped out. Seems that a steel plate nut would not strip with an aluminum
bolt. In order to replace the plate nuts, I have to take the gas tank off?

Anybody out there have this problem? I would love a creative way to further tighten the bolts. I greatly appreciate any feedback.

S S Anderson
Lafayette, La.

I had to take the TruTrak Autopilot out of my RV-7A and when I reinstalled it, the three bolts that hold it against the spar were snugged but did not seem to get tight. I wonder if the plate nuts on the back of the spar could be
stripped out. Seems that a steel plate nut would not strip with an aluminum
bolt. In order to replace the plate nuts, I have to take the gas tank off?

Anybody out there have this problem? I would love a creative way to further tighten the bolts. I greatly appreciate any feedback.

S S Anderson
Lafayette, La.

Aluminum Bolts... I hope not :eek:

Try shorter bolts? If the new stack-up is thinner then your bolts could be bottoming out with the shoulder against the nutplate. Try some bolts that are one grip length shorter and see if that works.

Back