What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hose clamp specs needed

Vlad

Well Known Member
I am having trouble to find right item # in Vans Webstore. I need to replace a hose clamp on nose wheel fairing and can not find matching item. Could somebody please take a look and tell me what kind of 3/8 hose clamp is that?

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0001-2.jpg

I installed a larger one and it punctured front half of the pant after full swing.

Zip-tie

Mine did the same from day one so I removed it and used a big zip tie. Put the locking area directly to the rear works great.

I prefer to use the high quality hose clamps that can be found at Marine supply places like West Marine. They sell clamps that are smooth on the inside - they don't cut into the underlying material - be it a hose or your fairing.

I've always been a little surprised that "aviation" hose clamps aren't higher quality.

I've had 2 A models

and eventually tie wraps or hose clamps vibrate loose and the whole fairing moves around on the gearleg. The simple fix is to wrap a few turns of similarly colored electrical tape tightly around the fixture where the clamp would nomally be seated. The tape holds snugly without strain and keeps movement from happening by sticking to the metal gearleg at the aft section of the attach point. Easily removed for inspection with any blade.

Hose Clamps on Front Gear

I had problems with the hose clamp on my RV-7A front gear. I had it bump off
when I went into my favorite grass strip. Finally I put a wood damping strip
on the front gear like the mains and put a few screws into the wood to hold
the fairing in place. I still have the hose clamp but I don't have as much pressure on it to keep the fairings in place. The wood dampens the vibration
and makes for smoother landings.

S S Anderson
RV-7A 250 hours
Replacing Blue Mountain with Grand Rapids

Back