What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Citizen Folding Bikes

trib

Well Known Member
Has anyone tried the citizen folding bikes? Their next to highest price model is $304, looks like decent alloy components, weighs 25 lbs and looks to be a good fit for the RV community. Since they are in Florida, I was hoping maybe one of our group had tried them. I was looking for some feedback on their quality.

Anyone have a story to tell? Another bike which seems good, although a bit more, is the Melon slice at $500. I'd prefer to save the $200 if the citizen is a good quality- looks like a best buy candidate!

Here's a link to the citizen bike:

http://www.citizenbike.com/catalog.asp?product_category_id=1&product_id=24

Folding Bikes

I bought a Dehon which is CHinese. I saw a couple in Canada had two of these bikes in either an RV 7 or 9. I use mine around the airport but have not packed in my plane yet. It is about 28 lbs and cost 450. VAn's has the Bike Friday brand that is made in Oregon. Very nice bikes but also expensive.

Steve Anderson
RV 7A 132 hours
Lafayette, La

cheaper option

Tim,

I ordered one of the Kent compact 16's. With a first time buyer discount it was $139 delivered.

IMG_9105.JPG

Writeup here:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=56946

No one will do any serious mileage on this bike, but it is "better than walking" and it fits nicely in the -9A slider baggage area. The kids love it at the hangar, too.

I'm sure the more expensive bikes are nicer, but this provides value for the price in my opinion.

I bought one of the Kent Compact 16's after reading Pete's original writeup. Mary and I both liked it, so we bought a second one. We have not taken any trips with them in the -10 yet. They get some use at the hangar. We are going to take them on a day trip to Cedar Key as soon as we get a break from the heat.

try the tokyo

Has anyone tried the citizen folding bikes?

Yep, I bought a Citizen Toyko a couple of weeks ago after reading a few threads on here. My second one should be here tomorrow. They fit in a -7 tip up easily (theres a thread on that too somewhere here).

I specifically went for the 16" wheeled Citizen Tokyo because of the smaller folded size than most others....and they are only $164.

Cheers,
..lance
RV7A - on FWF.

Back